Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 WT Rod Length
I am looking to purchase an 8 WT rod. For those that own an 8 WT - Do you prefer a 9' or 9' 6" or does it make any difference?

Thanks.
[signature]
That depends on usage. If you are looking for a streamer or saltwater rod, nine feet is preferable. If you are looking more for dead drifting for salmon and steelhead, a longer rod will allow greater line control for mending, etc.

The big difference is swing weight. The extra six inches can wear you out and tear up your arm / shoulder if trying to make longer casts all day long.

I have one handed rods up to 10 feet but if were to have just one all purpose 8wt it would be without a doubt a nine foot rod.
[signature]
Thank you for sharing your insight--- Much appreciated.
[signature]
I agree with what Drew said.
Throwing an 8 wt all day will make you want to practice your casting so you have fewer false casts and better accuracy.
And when you suddenly experience tennis elbow for the first time in your life, and just kind of brush it off- that is until you try and set the hook on a decent fish- you will appreciate the slightly shorter rod.
Best of luck!
[signature]
Length weight also depends on the manufacture. I have a 10' 8 wt. that is totally comfortable all day, but it is an Orvis upper end.
I do agree with length depending on what you are fishing. I like the 9' to 10' and let's not forget Switch rods (I have a 7 in 13') For distance like big rivers, but need the clearing.
I fish a lot of local river which isn't real wide and I really like 8' and shorter. I am catching Carp and Suckers but they get well above 20 lbs. Easier to land with a shorter rod.
I also have little problem casting 90' with a 7'6" LOL[Wink]
[signature]
What are you looking to fish for?

I have an 8 weight redington dually spey 13'6 and it is like a rocket launcher with skagit casts.

I use it to fight the Wyoming wind and swing streamers on the Green River.

I could see it as a good option for big rivers and still water, because of the casting distance.

At the end of the day, I am not tired from casting the two handed rod.

It is fun to get out and practice too, but it is a lot tougher to learn than traditional overhead.

I thought I would plug it as an option, because it is a really fun way to fish and should not only be for the steelheaders and salmonheads.
[signature]