Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anchor type and size
Need to get a new anchor for my 16' Lund. Wondering what type would be best,primarily for use at Willard. I am kinda dumb when it comes to anchoring. I normally troll
[signature]
I've been wondering how to upgrade that area as well. I know what I'd like, but I can't afford is the i-pilot electric motor with a virtual anchor mode, but due to limited funds I'm stuck with the old fashion anchors and rope. Over the years I have found a need for two anchors, one front and one back to hold my boat in position. I put a big old spikey homemade 20 lber out on front then back away from it and throw out my other anchor 180 degrees from the first and tighten that rope so the two lines keep me from rotating and close to where I want to be. I have never tried the water sock type, I hear they can be good, but I can't help there. Also I typically anchor in 40 fow or less and I'd like to learn if it's possible to anchor in Bear Lake at say 80 fow to jig Mac. I see an add from Amazon this morning for 100' anchor ropes for $20 and was wondering if you could ever hold a boat so you could fish at those depths? Anyway it's a good question. Later J
[signature]
It has long been a rule of thumb that you need two to three times the scope (length of anchor rope) as the depth you are anchoring in. That's for mild to moderate winds only.

Weight of anchor needed depends on the design, largely.
[signature]
Good to know that rule because I know I always want my anchors on angles rather than vertical. There's probably an engineering problem that could be optimized if I get bored someday. Later J
[signature]
I use a 18lbs river anchor on my 16ft boat. I typically let out 2X the rope as the depth of water I'm in. My anchore doesn't get dragged along using this set up. I put a automatic anchor pulley on the front of my boat for about $130 that I really enjoy. I have a tiller driven motor, so I would get the boat into position, then scramble to the bow of the boat and drop anchor hopefully before I get blown out of position. Using the pulley I just sit on my butt and push a button. It makes it nice when I am fishing with my kids that aren't strong enough to help set or pull the anchore.

I think the mushroom design is the best for the loose sediment in our reservoirs. But you end up pulling in a lot of mud up with the anchore. I think the river anchore is a good compromise that doesn't pull up near as much mud. I'll have my wife help me post up some pictures of my set up.
[signature]
I have all sorts of different sizes and kinds of anchors. If you want a low scope reasonably good hold in mixed lake beds then use a box anchor. If you want a muddy bottom king, use a Manson supreme. If you want a great all around anchor then use a danforth with chain on the rode.

For my boat I use a fortress fx-11 with 12' of 5/8" chain for my overnight anchor and then for everything else I use a large box anchor.

I have a galvanized steel Manson supreme collecting dust in my shed. But I really like they anchor it is just too big and awkward.

3:1 scope is in the best of conditions. I use 5:1 to 7:1 normally and in bays at places like lake Powell you may need even more than that if you don't plan to just beach your boat.
[signature]