Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle 1-24-04 sat
[#000080][size 2]I got to Jordanelle about noon. Temperature was 39 degrees. And, I got stuck parking again(2 weeks in a row). Took me 5 mins this time to get unstuck, badger[Tongue]. The Rockcliffs must be getting pounded. The ice is well trodded on and solid. There is footprints and tracks everywhere. I had to cut thru 14" of ice for my first hole. My holes were 8" minnium to a high of 14". Everybody I talked too weren't catching very many fish. I promptly caught 18(12 perch and 6 rainbows). Missed alot of fish, the perch are mainly very small. I had a very heavy fish battle me then came unbuttoned. The wind kicked up about 1:30. Heber had very clear/clean air on the way back(it was cruddy on the way up). I'm getting kinda bored of little Fn perches. Upper hook caught all but two. Mealies, waxies, crawlers, perchmeat, and power bait mirco wigglers were the ticket. [/size][/#000080]
[signature]
Thanks for the report . I might go tomorrow to Lake X or Rockport with my boy . I guess it all depends on the weather too . I going to take my atv up there if the snow is not too bad . Did you fish the south side in the river channel ? Where are you getting stuck ? Down by the water edge ? I will be hauling trailer but was planning on parking farther up from the water with the trailer .
[signature]
[#000080][size 2]Atv's should work well, the one I saw had no problems moving on the ice. Oh getting stuck[blush]. I been pulling over to the side a little to far[blush].[/size][/#000080]

[#000080][size 2] Fishing, I suggest to find some virgin areas. The southside river channel area has the looks of being hammered big time. [/size][/#000080]
[signature]
I also hit Jordanelle today. I didn't get there until about 4 though. I went to the east of the campgrounds near the marina. There wasn't another person on my side of the lake.

I walked out on 8 inches of crystal clear ice and drilled a hole over 23' of water. I couldn't keep the perchies off of my line. My plan was to reel up whenever I saw a school of trout come through, but I was always too busy either re-baiting, reeling in a fish, or trying to get my line back down to the perch. I caught my 50 in about an hour and a half. By that time the perch bite had slowed down (it was getting dark) and I was finally starting to mark a consistent number of trout at about 12 feet. I fished at that depth for about 20 min and ended up with one 13" bow and another of about the same size that came off at the hole. I just got way too cold and had to leave by about 6.

Most of the perch were only around 8" (some were only 2"....no kidding, it was the exact same size as the Sonar blade bait that I had in my tackle box), but I ended up with 5 nice ones. 4 of them were 10" and the one on the pic below was 11.5". The pic doesn't do her justice though. She was SOOOO fat!
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]So that’s where all the big Perch went to.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I think that big one was soooo full of eggs . LOL That ought to reduce the spawn by about 5000 . Nice fish !!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
[#000080][size 2]You sure thats not a hybrid bass[Wink][/size][/#000080]
[signature]
I fished the Rock cliffs on 1-23 (all Day) and did fairly well, but it was necessary to go out well past where most of the fishing pressure has been. I went out about 400 yds from the parking on the south side where the gullies come through the pines. The water was about 25 ft deep. The bite was consistent, and yes the perch were mostly small, but I was able to catch enough good ones for a nice meal. Several trout too. Rat finkies tipped with small piece of crawler outperformed waxies and perch parts for me. The deeper water on the south side seemed to be the key as others on the ice Friday did poorly. I would agree that an alternative site on Jordanelle would be a better choice.
[signature]
Well we didn't slay them , but it was not bad considering when we got there 12:00 pm . All we caught were perch and my kid out fished me today . It was a catered trip for him and I think he enjoyed catching more than me . I guess we should of moved out farther , but after the ice hut is set up it was stay warm inside from the wind . About 20 perch were slayin' today . Ice was 12" in the Rockcliff arm where we fished and about 4" of powder on it .
[signature]