Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 4/9
I had one of my best ice days of the year at Strawberry today. I fished close to the marina in 18 FOW. I started around 6:15 and left at noon. I caught about 20 cutthroat and a couple of rainbows. Most of the cutts were in the slot, but one was between 23" and 24" (didn't have a tape, measured a reference on my fishing pole). Most fish bit on a small green ratfinkee tipped with shrimp. I also caught a couple on a salt+pepper 1.5" tube.

The ice isn't doing so well this week. There is some open water around the edges, and coming back I broke through about 3 feet from shore. Out away from shore there is still 12-15 inches of ice, with another several inches of slush and crust. I'm pretty sure this was my last ice fishing trip of the season.
[signature]
Awesome Cutt! Man that ice can't come off soon enough, I have an itch for some trolling that only strawberry knows how to scratch!!!
[signature]
Good job Dregs! Maybe I'll take a plank along, as a buddy and I are heading up one more time on Monday...I'm hoping the barometric pressure stays on the low side, as that's when I've been doing my best there, at least on the ice...A little cut shrimp has been the ticket for us also, and those are great fish to catch, even if just to release...We've always started a little later than you...Are you catching fish real early when you get there before 7:00?
[signature]
I'd definitely take a plank. The 4/6 DWR report claims the Soldier Creek side is still tight to shore; that might be better.

As for the start time, I keep going earlier and earlier because it always dies early. I was catching fish right from the start, but it does seem like it was fastest from about 7:30 to 8:30. By 10:00 it had slowed considerably, and after 11:00 I only caught one or maybe two. Maybe I need move deeper by 10?
[signature]
Tks for info... got my plank ready...hope I can give a good report...
[signature]