Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Carp
I have been advocating for this in Utah. I have seen it sweep through a water way in central California. It hammers them good.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/1/1154894...pes-budget
[signature]
I could only imagine the smell that would sweep over Utah county were this to be used in Utah lake.
I wonder if there is a herpes virus that works on quagga mussels?
There are probably some wizards of smart that can figure that out.
[signature]
Regarding the mussel question, there is a bacteria that does them in, but the company that owns the patent on the organism does not have the production capacity to make it on a large enough scale at this time. It is being used in certain areas in the Midwest where they are trying to control it to prevent damage to water and sewer systems !! Wide spread use has not been approved by EPA yet !!
Cool beans. A glimmer of hope. I bet when a solution is deemed safe the production means will be there. No reason to ramp up production before approval.
[signature]
Hard to imagine California would ever adopt this kind of control method. Can't imagine what an environmental impact study would look like for that. Ya know I hate a lot about carp, but since my catfish obsession has kicked in, I really have found some great uses for carp and I'm not sure how the lack of carp would change things. Think I'll let the biologists figure this one out. Later J
[signature]
If this is a viable option they need to implement it immediately.

Test it on Pelican Lake and save the lake before it gets poisoned.

I suppose the really sticky point is the collateral damage it might cause. If they can guarantee the safety of the native species, they should jump on this like white on rice.
[signature]