Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humminbird Screen Shots
I have attached some screen shots from my Humminbird 899, taken while fishing Willard Bay 5/4/2016.

It was a slow catching day at Willard, and I wasn't seeing many fish on the finder with the unit in "Clear Mode". So I switched to "Max Mode" and the attached screen shots are what I started seeing more often, so do those look like fish to you? They looked like fish to me, but not with good solid red returns.

We trolled through them and even stopped on top of them and jigged, but didn't get any interest in what we had to offer.

So what do you sonar guys think. The signals look a little weak to me, but not a clue to what they could be.

thanks, Brian
[signature]
Looks like fish to me as well, they were likely crappie. We were in that same area yesterday and were seeing the same thing on my Humminbird 899, I found that in water that shallow the Max Mode is way too strong, when you turn it off or to clear mode the fish will still show up but they will be just a dot, even with fish ID on. From what I understand, the reason they are not red on all the arches is because they are off to the side slightly, if they are directly under the boat they are red. You got some good pics there of yours, can't say I've seen arches that good on my Humminbird but I haven't had it very long.
[signature]
Thanks WH2,

That makes sense, I didn't even think of them not being in the center of the cone, and I had the sonar set to dual (83/200 kHz).

You will like having the 899. With the catching being so slow on Wednesday, I had a lot of time to get more familiar with my sonar and iPilot Link.

Brian
[signature]
Thats the best time to play with all those electronics, when the catch is slow. We were trying all the setting with mine yesterday, until we started catching fish.
When you use the screenshot function, does it go on the SD card then you down load it to your computer?
[signature]
Yes the screen shots save to the SD card.

I don't know if you are already aware of this or not, but you have to go into your menu and activate the screen shot mode. After you do that you push the "Mark" button to take screen shots. Just remember to turn off the screen shots when you're done, so you can once again mark fish with the "Mark" button. Otherwise you will just keep taking screen shots when you think you're marking fish. You will know it wasn't changed back to mark fish, when you push the mark button and a waypoint doesn't appear on the chart.

Brian
[signature]
Good to know, I have seen the screen shot mode in the menu but it isn't something I've played with yet. I saw something out of the ordinary the other day on the finder and I was thinking it would have been a good shot to save. Is there any way to freeze a screen shot, if you don't have the screen shot mode on?
[signature]
If you want to freeze or stop the screen from scrolling so you you can study the display before an object scrolls off the screen, just push the cursor button and screen will stop scrolling. To start it scrolling again push the exit button.

Brian
[signature]
[#0000FF]Just a thought. Could be shad. They will be in there spawning now too. They get big (18-20") but they don't eat lures much. And they hang suspended in the water column. I've worked over a school of shad more than once...hoping for crappies.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Brian, I'll have to give it a try the next time I get out and see how it works.
[signature]