Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Registering my potoon boat for a motor
Hi, can anyone shed some light on this subject. I want to put a electric motor on my pontoon. Been told i have to register it if I do. [fishon]
[signature]
Yes if it has a motor of any kind it needs registration.
[signature]
Ron is correct, which means that you'll have to figure out a way to put registration numbers on it also. There are several workable options.
[signature]
I bought a stoutly built raft about a year and a half ago. It serves as a multi-purpose vessel. We take it camping and paddle it around various bodies of water. My family of 5 uses it to float Boise River in the summer. And it's a small fishing boat for myself, and 1 other when necessary. I mount a small 3hp gasoline engine which mounts on the rear when I need to get around larger lakes. And, thus, I do have to register it every year.

For registration numbers, I bought a set of stencils at a local craft store and used a black sharpie. Worked out really well.
[signature]
So my next question is, How do I go about getting it registered. They say I need a Title to show I own it. Well unfortunately they don't give a Title when you buy a pontoon boat. What next?
[signature]
Talk to DMV. They'll have some kind of provision (hoop to jump through).
[signature]
The short answer is yes, you will need to register your pontoon boat and when I did it quite a few years ago I only had to bring my receipt or at least proof of ownership. Unfortunately the long answer is that just a couple years ago I tried to register a drift boat. I paid for the stickers, got my ID number, they came out and verified the Serial Number, and I put the numbers on. A couple of weeks later I got a call from the DMV and was told that the state of Idaho does not Title drift boats. I told them I just want to put my motor on it and this is what I got told "I don't care if you stick a sail in the middle of it and call it a Pirate Ship, Idaho does not title drift boats." I said I don't want to title it, I just want to register it and put a motor on it. Then I got told "Unless it is a motor boat you do not need to register it and you need to come in and pick up your refund and pull the numbers off." ????? I am pretty sure the person writing my first ticket for not having my boat registered will completely understand.[Wink] There may be hoops-o-plenty. Good luck and let us know, I may get a new pontoon boat and will be putting a trolling motor on that one.

Louflies
[signature]
. . . and they will ticket you. I would call back and talk to someone else and have them give you a pass on the registration in writing. I'm allergic to tickets!
[signature]
I know the Sheriff that works the section of the Snake river between Celebration Park and Swan Falls thinks you need to register a pontoon boat if you have an electric motor. I was taking out at Celebration after floating down ... but had an electric strapped on the side .. but not in the water being used. I got a bit of a warning about needed registration ... but no ticket ... I think it was a "teaching moment".[Wink]
[signature]
[quote MMDon]. . . and they will ticket you. I would call back and talk to someone else and have them give you a pass on the registration in writing. I'm allergic to tickets![/quote]

Yep. I'll second that.
[signature]
Call your sheriffs department and ask to speak to the marine deputy.
It their job!
[signature]
[Smile]
[signature]