Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling motor suggestions
Looking to put a trolling motor on my Outcast fishcat IR-10 Stand up. The boat itself is pretty heavy at 91 lbs, and I'm not exactly an emaciated hipster at 295 lbs. What recommendations can you experts give me as far as a motor goes? What lb thrust would be good?

Thanks in advance!
[signature]
[#0000FF]You did not mention whether you are looking for gas or electric. But you did ask about # thrust.

If electric, anything over 30# thrust will probably serve for trolling, bottom bouncing and getting around within a reasonable area. If you plan to make long runs...or troll for extended periods of time, then increase to 40# or more and get a series 27 or 30 battery...or two.

Shaft length on the motor might be a consideration too. Depending on how high your motor mount is you may need a longer shaft. The shaft on a 30# thrust is usually 30". 36" for the 40#.

Hope you are not planning to use it for water skiing.

Knowing where you will be using it and how would make it easier to make more specific recommendations.

Ultimately, the performance you get from your motor is subject to the same factors as aerodynamics...lift, thrust and drag. How high do you float, what hangs in the water to add drag and how powerful is the motor. As a rule, a well designed pontoon has a shallow draft with little drag. But if you leave your legs in the water and have other things hanging in the water while you are under power you will get less life from your battery and slower speeds.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the fast response

I'm looking to go with an electric motor. The noise and expense of a gas motor is a big turn off for me.

Definitely not looking to pull any skiers behind my boat HAHA. I fly fish 90% of the time, so I'm mostly just looking for something to get me from A to B in a somewhat timely manner, and perhaps slowly run parallel to the shore while I cast at the banks. Pineview and Willard being my primary haunts.

Thanks for your feedback!
[signature]
http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/e..._104645880

That is the one most like mine. Or to put it another way what mine would be if mine weren't so old.

The variable speed is real nice because when the wind kicks up just a little you can bump up your speed just a little to compensate.

It sounds like you fish just like I do and this is the perfect motor for that. Now you need to pair it with the perfect battery and wait until you find out you'll need to spend even more on that battery. You can get one at walmart or you can go to batteries and bulbs and get this one...

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/ma...li24magmdc

The thing about batteries that makes one better that another is not just how long you'll be on the water which is measured by amp hours but how long it takes to recharge that battery because you wan't to slow charge it when you can. But also how many discharges you can make on a battery before it's ruined. That battery is the one that does all of that the best and while it cost twice as much it will last longer by at least twice or even more.
[signature]
That's the motor I've actually been leaning towards. Thanks for solidifying my choice. Man, $220 for a motor, $200 for a battery, another $50 for a batt box and cables, another $50 to register the thing...I could almost buy another boat for that much cash.

It's like they say, "You have to pay to play".
[signature]
Yes you do. The boat will be good for years and years. Now the motor will last you for about 300 days on the water. The battery for about 3 years weather you go on the water or not (they will decay just sitting on the shelf). The registration is the only thing you'll have to buy every year.

Oh and BTW you forgot to list the cost of a battery charger. Check this one out...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/schumache...QAWidgetID
[signature]
[quote OldTroller]Yes you do. The boat will be good for years and years. Now the motor will last you for about 300 days on the water. The battery for about 3 years weather you go on the water or not (they will decay just sitting on the shelf). The registration is the only thing you'll have to buy every year.

Oh and BTW you forgot to list the cost of a battery charger. Check this one out...

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/product/schumacher-ship-n-shore-speed-charger/2201876.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbattery%252Bchargers%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=battery+chargers#BVQAWidgetID[/quote]"]http://www.cabelas.com/...VQAWidgetID[/quote][/url]

OldTroller, curious what goes bad on your motors at 300 days? Some of mine gone somewhat longer than that, but they don't have electronic speed controls...

Each of the lead battery types requires a different charging protocol, so that should be a good charger, OT.

I've been lucky to have some AGM batteries last up to 7 years, by following some simple protocols. I never drive AGM or any batteries to zero, and try to keep within the 80% recommended maximum discharge. Also I charge up completely ASAP after use, even if only drained very slightly- as recommended in the electric vehicle forums.

Hope this helps.

PM
[signature]
Three hundred days is a count of days on the water not day of ownership. So that would make about fifty days on the water for six or so years. A battery will indeed last longer if it is treated as well as you treat yours. I have not been as careful and did okay.
[signature]
I agree on a MAXIMIZER motor. It is more money but so worth it. Many more hours on the water and more variable speeds.
As for batteries, I buy Walmart Deep Cycle 29 and a battery box. Top that of with a $34. Battery Tender which you will put on the battery anytime you are not using it. It is not a trickle charger, this will charge the battery and shut off when full.
I use one on my motorcycle and it increases the life of a battery big time.
Weight of the battery is not that big of difference for the Wally or the AGM.
For your boat I would look at 40lb and larger. 30 would move you but it won't last.
[signature]
I am kind of in the same boat as you. I have a #30 Minn Kota with a flipped head that I used on my old 8ft Pontoon. This year I have bought a new 9ft pontoon and it is bigger and heavier than my old one as well as I weigh 285lb's so the motor has too push a lot of weight. I have been worried about my #30 thrust but so far it has worked no problems.

I run mostly at a 1 speed and it has worked well for slow trolling. Occasionally I will run at 5 to get off the water quicker and the motor will pull me at a good clip though the water. I have noticed that the battery loses it charge a bit faster but I am using an older battery so it might be due to that. If this motor ever dies I will most likely upgrade to the #40 mentioned above.

I recently added one cool thing to my setup and that's a tolling motor foot switch so I can stop the motor with my hand without turning back to work the handle on the motor. This works extremely well and I don't know why I didn't add one a couple years ago when I first got my motor.

Mark
[signature]
[quote MBM1969]I am kind of in the same boat as you. I have a #30 Minn Kota with a flipped head that I used on my old 8ft Pontoon. This year I have bought a new 9ft pontoon and it is bigger and heavier than my old one as well as I weigh 285lb's so the motor has too push a lot of weight. I have been worried about my #30 thrust but so far it has worked no problems.

I run mostly at a 1 speed and it has worked well for slow trolling. Occasionally I will run at 5 to get off the water quicker and the motor will pull me at a good clip though the water. I have noticed that the battery loses it charge a bit faster but I am using an older battery so it might be due to that. If this motor ever dies I will most likely upgrade to the #40 mentioned above.

I recently added one cool thing to my setup and that's a tolling motor foot switch so I can stop the motor with my hand without turning back to work the handle on the motor. This works extremely well and I don't know why I didn't add one a couple years ago when I first got my motor.

Mark[/quote]

The smaller motors can be made more efficient and to give a higher thrust by tricking them out in different ways.
Mounting a cheap model airplane prop in place of the weedless can be done. Some alterations needed to make the fit and also the use of electric power measurements would be helpful. The result would be considerably more powerful without stressing the motor in any way, but the weedless feature would be lost.

PM
[signature]
I have an Endura 45 I could make a best off deal on. It works great. Longer shaft. It has been used a few times.
PM me if interested.
[signature]