Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Finder Maps
What kind of fish finder maps do you all like? Im stuck between Jeppesen and Navionics. For this area it seems the coverage is quite limited from either one. I wish there was a way to preview how it will work with your fish finder before you commit to buy. I have also tried searching how to upload a google maps KMZ file to your fish finder so that I can have the few specific lakes that I frequent and call that good.

Thanks for your input.
[signature]
You can get a Navionics app on your phone it's free for awhile to preview. It is ok but not all that accurate. I have the app and I have Hot Maps chip on my finder. It's better than not having it and it will get you close on structure and depending on what your doing that might be good enough.
[signature]
I'll have to look into the hot maps chip. Never heard of it. Anything is better than what I have now. Basically I want to be able to save waypoints on the map overlay to mark where the fish are and try to generate fish trends over time. Also to boat over a spot, mark it and return later to target that area.
[signature]
What kind of fish finder do you have? Hot maps is a navionics product.
[signature]
Furuno GP1870F. Been a great unit just have to buy the transducer and maps separate. I've had lowrance, humminbird, and garmin and the furuno has me hooked on their brand. Most AK guides use them too.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Q,[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The product you want if you go with Navionics is the HotMaps Platinum WEST. You can get updates to the chip as often as you like for a full year after purchase (daily if needed). But it ain't cheap - $200.[font "Arial"][#000000] [/#000000][/font]After the first year there is an annual subscription of $99 for updates. Unfortunately, the subscription can't be bought through Cabela's for points. [frown][/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]You can add contour data while boating if your sonar is compatible with that function. It is compatible with a very wide range of brands.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font] [font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]You just missed a company sponsored sale of $30 off. I got mine at Cabela's at $169 and used points to cover the rest and got it for $0 out of pocket. [Smile][/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]NOBODY makes a data chip that will show data for every lake out there, but the HotMaps Platinum shows a lot of them in Utah and the rest of the northwest corner of the country.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]You can get all the information you would like to know about this product at this[/#800000][/font] [url "http://www.navionics.com/en/hotmaps-platinum-1"]website[/url].
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
After looking into compatibility and features I will have to go with the Jeppsen charts. they are $99 and free shipping. Not as bad as I thought. Coverage area is quite large so I think it'll work for me.

Hopefully this will help me create locations of fishing hot spots for better success each trip.
[signature]