Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Registration Increase
I got my registration and noticed it was about $20 higher than last year. When I called the DMV they said it was a Legislature increase and there is nothing they can do.

Has anyone else noticed their fee had increased?
[signature]
All of us, my toon' was $53!

Mussel abatement tax
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Effective July1, 2015, all boat and watercraft fees went up $15.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I tried to tell you guys in Jan 2015 that State Senator Jenkins was sponsoring a very bad bill but nobody would listen. It passed and became effective for ALL watercraft REGISTERED after July1, 2015. A fee of $10 was added to every watercraft registration after that date. And yes, it is for the invasive species (zebra/quagga mussels) program. Non-registered craft don't pay it and out-of-state craft don't pay it - that's why its a BAD BILL.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Also, according to the DMV, there is an additional $5 being levied on all watercraft registrations that will support something in the State Parks division. I don't know which 2015 bill levied this fee or what it is to be used for. If you have this information, please post it here.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I knew this also last year and posted it on another forum. While surrounding states charge nonresidence for AIS fees such as Idaho & Wyoming to plaster their decoration on our boats, Utah gives a free ride to nonresidence here. We are still subject to inspections with or without the decal as nonresidence crossing borders. Calif started charging a fee for their boat registrations a couple of years ago and when you get to their lakes another fee for AIS inspection comes, and they have it down to charge per foot. The domino effect will keep coming.
[signature]
[quote Bduck]I knew this also last year and posted it on another forum. While surrounding states charge non-residence for AIS fees such as Idaho & Wyoming to plaster their decoration on our boats, Utah gives a free ride to non-residence here. We are still subject to inspections with or without the decal as non-residence crossing borders. Calif started charging a fee for their boat registrations a couple of years ago and when you get to their lakes another fee for AIS inspection comes, and they have it down to charge per foot. The domino effect will keep coming.[/quote] i whole heartily agree if we get charged for AIS sticker when we go out of state boaters that come from out of state should pay their share also , by the way just left starvation where a fellow boat forgot to fill out an AIS form he was fined 100 dollars for his error since he had bee warned 5 years prior to today !! be aware they are not cutting anyone a brake right now.
[signature]
[quote Bduck]While surrounding states charge nonresidence for AIS fees such as Idaho & Wyoming to plaster their decoration on our boats, Utah gives a free ride to nonresidence here.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Everybody - Please write to that Senator Scott Jenkins and thank him for that. His email address is [url "mailtoConfusedjenkins@le.utah.gov"]sjenkins@le.utah.gov[/url]. That oversight was brought to his attention several times before the bill passed and he totally ignored it.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
What, you are not happy to pay for every paddle boarder, canoe, kayak, swimmer, scuba diver, snorkeler, spear fisherman, non resident boater,motorless tuber/tooner, etc. that could also 'move a mussel?
That is just plain being ungrateful.....
P.S. I hope you know I am kidding.
[signature]
[quote dubob][quote Bduck]While surrounding states charge nonresidence for AIS fees such as Idaho & Wyoming to plaster their decoration on our boats, Utah gives a free ride to nonresidence here.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Everybody - Please write to that Senator Scott Jenkins and thank him for that. His email address is [url "mailtoConfusedjenkins@le.utah.gov"]sjenkins@le.utah.gov[/url]. That oversight was brought to his attention several times before the bill passed and he totally ignored it.[/#800000][/font][/quote]

Heres the reply from Scott Jenkins, and I quote :

"I am checking into this issue right now. If what you say is true I will fix it before I leave office. Thanks for your concern and notification. Scott "

It appears that he does not know entirely what the bill was all about. Hopefully they will change the bill ,and require nonresidents to buy an invasive sticker. Either that or an increase in a fishing license appropriate to our increase in boat registration .
[signature]
So maybe this is a dumb question! But since we are paying on our registrations for the invasive species her in Utah now, do we still have to purchase a Wyoming sticker for the Gorge since it covers both states? don't seem right if we have to in Utah but Wyoming boaters don't! [crazy]
[signature]
Glad to hear the guy got tagged.[Tongue]
[signature]
[quote up2nogood]Heres the reply from Scott Jenkins, and I quote : "I am checking into this issue right now. If what you say is true I will fix it before I leave office. Thanks for your concern and notification. Scott "[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 7]BS!!![/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]He knew all this when he had the bill up for a vote in 2015. I know this to be a fact because I suggested to him in emails (several) that a better way would be to require a stamp/decal for ALL watercraft. I also discussed this on the phone with my Representative who emailed me later and said he discussed the issues with Mr. Jenkins and Mr. Jenkins was adamant that he would NOT change the wording in his bill. He knew it was true in 2015 and WOULDN'T fix it. And now he claims he'll fix it if it's true? Yah - right![/size][/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[#800000][#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"]T[#800000]he only way this will every get fixed is if enough Utah voters raise a stink over it and demand that it be fixed. So, has anybody besides up2nogood bothered to write to your Rep or Senator?[/#800000][/font][/#800000][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[quote dubob][quote up2nogood]Heres the reply from Scott Jenkins, and I quote : "I am checking into this issue right now. If what you say is true I will fix it before I leave office. Thanks for your concern and notification. Scott "[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 7]BS!!![/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]He knew all this when he had the bill up for a vote in 2015. I know this to be a fact because I suggested to him in emails (several) that a better way would be to require a stamp/decal for ALL watercraft. I also discussed this on the phone with my Representative who emailed me later and said he discussed the issues with Mr. Jenkins and Mr. Jenkins was adamant that he would NOT change the wording in his bill. He knew it was true in 2015 and WOULDN'T fix it. And now he claims he'll fix it if it's true? Yah - right![/size][/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[#800000][#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"]T[#800000]he only way this will every get fixed is if enough Utah voters raise a stink over it and demand that it be fixed. So, has anybody besides up2nogood bothered to write to your Rep or Senator?[/#800000][/font][/#800000][/#800000][/quote]

I was surprised that I even got a reply, my only regret is that I didn't get involved sooner .

Hopefully more members will voice their concerns, if anyone that has read this thread, or knows the details of this bill, and does not voice their concern, then I hope they enjoy paying for the invasive program, so the nonresidents can enjoy the free ride. It only takes a few minutes to type a concern.
[signature]
[quote LakeDrifter]So maybe this is a dumb question! But since we are paying on our registrations for the invasive species her in Utah now, do we still have to purchase a Wyoming sticker for the Gorge since it covers both states? don't seem right if we have to in Utah but Wyoming boaters don't! [crazy][/quote]

The way I understand it Wyoming gets the free ride, maybe the Gorge is different. Read the Wyoming fishing regulations if you want to know .

If you are concerned type a letter to Senator Jenkins. Complaining on here won't solve anything.
[signature]
Sorry for abbreviating son of a bisquit[pirate] I guess BS is OK.
[signature]
I was disappointed he got the ticket , he had been warned but it was years ago and his boat was out on it's first trip. we were at rabbit gulch and he looked for a ais questionnaire and couldn't see the box . they had moved it from right by the ramp over to the empty pay booth area . so he had a good argument .but no breaks.
[signature]
You first stated that he forgot to fill out a form, that's why I didn't have much sympathy.
[signature]

Live Mussels found during boat check in Twin Falls County http://www.kmvt.com/content/news/Live-Mu...14921.html
[signature]
[quote LakeDrifter]So maybe this is a dumb question! But since we are paying on our registrations for the invasive species her in Utah now, do we still have to purchase a Wyoming sticker for the Gorge since it covers both states? don't seem right if we have to in Utah but Wyoming boaters don't! [crazy][/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]It AIN"T right! But if you put your watercraft in ANY Wyoming body of water, your are REQUIRED by Wyoming law to have the Wyoming invasive species sticker on the watercraft. Paying the fee in Utah doesn't put any money into the Wyoming program. If you want to play in Wyoming, you have to PAY in Wyoming (just like with the reciprocity fishing stamp). Please write to Sen Jenkins and voice your disgust with his intentional oversight on this law. But do so with tact and respect. [cool] [/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[quote dtayboyz]

Live Mussels found during boat check in Twin Falls County [url "http://www.kmvt.com/content/news/Live-Mussels-found-during-boat-check-in-Twin-Falls-County-379814921.html[/quote]"]http://www.kmvt.com/...814921.html[/url]

[url "http://www.kmvt.com/content/news/Live-Mussels-found-during-boat-check-in-Twin-Falls-County-379814921.html[/quote]"][/quote][/url]

They should throw the book at the guy driving that tow vehicle.[mad] He/she likely knew that the boat was infested or they would have stopped at the inspection station.
[signature]
I was "pulled over" on Blackfoot reservoir this weekend and checked for an Idaho invasive species sticker for 2016 on my boat. The 2015 sticker was on my boat and was purchased less than a year ago, so I totally spaced that it was for the calendar year and not for 365 days. My bad.
Fortunately the CO gave me a warning as I met every other requirement and was able to provide proof of Utah certification. So yesterday I went online and paid $22 for the new sticker. Seriously? They pull the same crap for snowmobile usage.
Can't we have some type of multi-state sticker or something.
Ugh. I will be sending an email.
[signature]