Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humminbird Transducer Installation
I have a Humminbird transducer installed on the transom of my boat that works great for trolling, but if I go over 8 mph I loss my sonar signal because of air bubbles and the ducer riding higher in the water.

Apparently this is a common problem. One solution is to epoxy the transducer in the hull of the boat near the drain plug.

My boat is a deep-V aluminum boat, and there is not a good flat surface location in the hull to epoxy the ducer down.

Has anyone found a solution to mounting a transducer so the signal isn't lost at higher speeds? Or is there a boat place out there that is qualified or has experience in mounting transducers in the hull of a deep-V aluminum boat?
[signature]
[quote BSF]I have a Humminbird transducer installed on the transom of my boat that works great for trolling, but if I go over 8 mph I loss my sonar signal because of air bubbles and the ducer riding higher in the water.

Apparently this is a common problem. One solution is to epoxy the transducer in the hull of the boat near the drain plug.

My boat is a deep-V aluminum boat, and there is not a good flat surface location in the hull to epoxy the ducer down.

Has anyone found a solution to mounting a transducer so the signal isn't lost at higher speeds? Or is there a boat place out there that is qualified or has experience in mounting transducers in the hull of a deep-V aluminum boat?[/quote]

Have you tried adjusting the angle of the ducer to match the plane/angle of the boat at speed?
[signature]
Thanks for the suggestion, I have not tried adjusting the angle of the transducer, mostly because my 16 footer with a 40 HP will not get up on plane unless I'm at Utah Lake elevation or lower. Top speed at Utah Lake on plane is 18-20 mph. At Strawberry I can't get up on plane and my top speed is 9-12 mph depending on the day.

Thanks, Brian
[signature]
I have my Humminbird ducer mounted on my Lund deep V and I cannot always get it to read at all speeds. If the water is calm it works fine, but if there is a chop and there are bubble going under the boat, then it cuts out intermittently. However, I did position the ducer about 1/4" below the bottom of the boat and this helped. I had to increase the tension it would need to "kick up" if it hit an object in the water since it was simply kicking up due to the drag since it was below the boat's bottom. Also, mounting it lower on the hull also causes it to create a little "rooster tail" spray, but I can live with that. The bottom line there is no sure-fire way to get them to read on a deep V at all speeds and all conditions. Mounting it inside the hull I would advise against. You definitely lose some of the sensitivity when it has to shoot thru the hull. Try it lower on the hull and see what happens. It really helped in my case.
[signature]
Thanks BLFG,

I'm not sure I could mount it any lower, without some kind of extension.

Thanks, Brian
[signature]
[quote BSF]Thanks BLFG,

Thanks, Brian[/quote]

Post a picture of the mounting setup when you can, there are ways to do it.
[signature]
[quote fish_hntr][quote BSF]Thanks BLFG,

Thanks, Brian[/quote]

Post a picture of the mounting setup when you can, there are ways to do it.[/quote]

Will do. Thanks
[signature]
Here are some Pictures of how it is currently mounted.
[signature]
Yea, I don't see how you could get it any lower either and I don't see how it would help either. When I mounted my Humminbird transducer, I just followed the instructions that come with it. The biggest difference I see in your transducer and mine is the angle, other than yours sits deeper in the water, mine has a slight angle on it, so the nose of the transducer is angled down but its not much. Also I have mine mounted on a teflon pad, instead of directly onto the hull.
[signature]
[quote BSF]Here are some Pictures of how it is currently mounted.[/quote]

You can get it lower simply by using the existing lower bracket holes, although you already have the ducer below the hull and not sure any lower would help. Play with the angle a bit, some good info on the web about it.
[signature]
It should be mounted flush with the bottom of the boat. Then try tilting it up a hair or down a hair if there is still issues.

I have never had a problem zero to 40 mph with mine and the bottom of my HB transducer is flush with the bottom of the boat. At least irt bottom depth readings. I lose a good sonar picture above 5-6 mph.

[Image: TrackerV175WT142.jpg]

[Image: TrackerV175WT144.jpg]

[Image: TrackerV175WT145.jpg]

It has been many many years but I did have a issue a couple trips with losing bottom depth at speed. I "think" it was the surface clutter setting. Somewhat guessing since I don't really remember what I adjusted back then.

I get a pretty decent rooster tail out the boat from my transducer.

Tom
[signature]
WH2
The mounting pad would have definitely been the best way to go. I'm not sure if I want to mess with the angle, because currently I get such good fish arches on the display, at lower trolling speeds.

Thanks, Brian
[signature]
Fish_Hntr

Maybe I will look on line and see what they have to say about the angle. Do you have any sites or YouTube videos you would recommend watching.

Thanks, Brian
[signature]
Wolfs4evr,

I could try moving it up to the flush position, now that it has been determined that it shouldn't need to go deeper.

Maybe next time out I will video what the transducer is doing in faster conditions.

Thanks, Brian
[signature]