Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Res. Preston ?
I am a bit Confused as to all the new rules in the Preston area.

Can I take a small boat with electric on Johnson? What certifications or boat checks do I need to have?

Can I take a float tube if not a boat?

My kids are excited about the annual bluegill trip but I'm not sure it is worth it with all the changes.

Windriver
[signature]
I think it is open to non motorized.

You might try calling Consolidated Canal Co to find out for sure.
[signature]
I've been very Confused about this whole mess myself. I was up in the area trying to fish today and was able to get some info.

Apparently if you are heading to any water owned by either Twin Lakes or Consolidated your watercraft needs to be inspected at either Malad or Franklin every day you want to fish in one of their reservoirs. This includes float tubes, though float tubes don't need the invasive species sticker. They do need a stamp in the inspection booklet though. Electric motors are okay on Johnson I think, but the boat does need inspection.

One other thing, Glendale is now charging $20 to launch every time you use their launch, and apparently Twin Lakes will be the same way starting Memorial Day weekend.

It's a pretty crappy deal, but I suppose it's better than a complete closure.
[signature]
Do you know if in state float tubes need to be inspected too?
[signature]
I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like everybody has to be inspected. Kind of a pain. Even though I'm in Utah, I live Clarkston so to drive all the way over to Franklin and then all the way back to Twin is way out of my way too. I probably won't bother going there anymore, especially if that $20 fee applies to tubes too. I haven't gotten an answer on that yet.
[signature]
There seems to be a real lack of information from the Canal Companies all the way around. When I asked the Franklin County Soil and Conservation District about some of the information on their facebook page, I really didn't get a full answer from them either. It looks to me like the Canal companies that they would issue a full blown press release on what they are going to do. I say this because the information that I got earlier in May, became no good as late as May 14. Why the sudden changes to what had been issued before, I have no idea.

I would ask this, if I posted up a poll as to how many folks use any of the reservoirs in Franklin County and posed it in a way that we could get a lot of support to help get clear, concise information and push for more money from the State Dept. of Ag to help with inspections in this and other areas of the State, would members of this site be willing to sign a petition/poll to help improve what is going on?

I am willing to help take this on if we think we can get support to push for increased funding from the state and better access to inspection stations. Let me know what everyone thinks.

Thanks
[signature]
I'm in.
[signature]
I'm definitely on board with anything that will simplify and clarify this ridiculousness.
[signature]