Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan River
Anyone know of any special regulations for the Jordan River? Decided I am going to fish it more often for a close to home place to fish. Seems easier to fish after work rather than trying to drive to my favorite spots. And who knows I could pull some kind of mutant fish!!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Regs for the Jordan River are pretty much the same as those for Utah Lake. Ditto for fish species. No special regulations...except you can't keep any dead bodies you find. No limit on shopping carts.

Seriously, the Jordan River still suffers from a lingering bad rep...from the days when it was more of a repository for everybody's trash and the runoff and pollution from several businesses and municipalities. It has been greatly improved in the past decade...both visually and ecologically. There are improvement projects, walkways and parks along much of the river now. And the sources of pollution from the past have been greatly curtailed.

In truth, the fish from Jordanelle and some other "pristine" waters are more subject to mercury and other pollutants than the Jordan River. A lot of the creeks and tributaries coming down from the mountains still contain residues of mercury, arsenic, cyanide and other toxic materials used in the mining days of old.

But since the water does come from Utah Lake it is subject to the same warnings. One of those is not to eat carp or large catfish from those waters. There is a PCB buildup in the fatty tissues of large members of those species. But if you want to keep and eat some of the smaller cats...and virtually any white bass or walleyes...go head on. Always a good idea to fillet them and use a high heat method of cooking...like frying or grilling. Smoking works well also to reduce any residual oils. But nobody over the course of many years has been diagnosed with any ailments from eating any of the fish.

If nothing else, use the river as a "brain broom", to fish away the stress of a hard day at work. Even though the river runs through a big city, there is still lots of wild life (not counting human couples) to be seen. And just waving your fish pole over the water seems to have therapeutic benefits.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Everything TD said! The one thing I would add is to be careful in certain areas. I was involved in a river clean up a couple weeks ago from 47th south to the redwood nature trail head(I believe 2100southish). We were in canoes and didn't see any of the actual people but you could see tons of homeless camps. Most of the time people like that are actually fine but every once in a while one of them might be unstable and dangerous. It's definitely an underappreciated area. Some places the water quality has actually improved and is adequate for trout habitat based on research I've done for classes. It'd be cool if one day they planted it with some trout or something cool like they used to. Lots of people can catch good catfish from both Utah Lake and the river. Some areas you can get species of bass. There of course still is lots of carp.
[signature]
Last wed my son caught this cat just in saratoga on the jordan. TD is right i stop by there all the time to let my mind unwind from looking at code all day.
[signature]
I don't know what part of the river you are looking to fish but I used to love close to a little spot just north of 9000 south where we caught some great cat fish, carp and a few white bass. My boys loved it. Fishing was almost always hot and the ticket for the big carp seemed to be grandma sycamores white bread mashed on a hook like power bait[Wink]

here is the location. 40 35 51.47 N 111 54 46.08 W

Good Luck
[signature]