Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grayling
Where can I go next weekend to find grayling?
[signature]
It may be too early to be hiking around in the uintahs. I haven't been earlier than june, but there were plenty of snow drifts the times I hiked in June.

Fish lake (Weber drainage has tons of smaller fish. And it may be the shortest hike, lowest elevation lake of the grayling lakes.

Allen lake has produced the largest grayling that I have caught in utah. Fish were 12" +, but you know how memory makes fish bigger than they were. Allen is in four lakes basin, 16 miles from the high line trailhead on the mirror lake highway.
[signature]
Little too early for grayling at least that I can think of. They can be found is several of the Uinta lakes as posted and on the Boulder top. Unfortunately you are about a month too early. Put June 20th on your calendar. Start watching the snow on the local mountains. Watch reports to see when the Mirror Lake highway opens (often about Memorial Day, sometimes later). About 2 weeks after they cut it open, take a drive over the top to see Mirror and Pass Lakes. When Mirror Lake thaws, the lower Uinta lakes should be open, so Marjorie and some others on the Crystal Lake trail are likely ready - you will still have some snow drifts to cross. Allen and others in 4 Lake Basin will be about 2 weeks after that.

About this same time the Boulder top opens. Look for Crater Lake. You can drive near on a dirt road (high clearance vehicle needed). It is about a quarter mile walk to the lake from the road.
[signature]
Just looked back through pictures of grayling last year and we were in on the Row Lakes on Boulder over Memorial Day. Maybe a little later with the better winter we had but should be able to get into them sooner than anything on the Boulder Top.
[signature]
You are right, the Row Lakes on Boulder would be open much sooner than the Boulder top. I did not realize they had put grayling in the Row Lakes. I haven't fished the Rows in a while. All I ever caught there were planter rainbows. Good call.
[signature]
Smith and Morehouse has them as well and is probably accessible before many of those lakes.

However, I haven't fished there in years and not sure how common they really are there.
[signature]
After catching them in Smith & Morehouse & seeing how many they stock each year I would expect to see a new state record come out of there some time in the future. For a drive to water that is where I would start this early in the year to find them.
[signature]
I have caught them in moon lake. It mighy be accessible by now.
[signature]
[quote brookie]You are right, the Row Lakes on Boulder would be open much sooner than the Boulder top. I did not realize they had put grayling in the Row Lakes. I haven't fished the Rows in a while. All I ever caught there were planter rainbows. Good call.[/quote]

This time last year we were down just exploring and saw them cruising right next to shore in a couple of them sipping drys so we stopped and caught a pile of them and a couple decent brooks.
[signature]
I took the scouts past Allen last summer and were able to find several nice grayling in there. Your not getting to Allen right now, unless you are snowmobiling and ice fishing for them[Wink]
[signature]
I caught roughly 50 grayling about two weeks ago....
[signature]
[quote Delement87]I caught roughly 50 grayling about two weeks ago....[/quote]

Thank you for the helpful advice and the thorough answer to the question posed in this thread. I'm sure rgreenland will take this copious information into serious consideration in his/her quest to find grayling.
[signature]
+1
[signature]
Thank you everyone - I appreciate all the input and information. I will be using it in the next several weeks.
THANKS!
[signature]
Wow boisan youre a real peach arent you. poeple like you make internet forums a nightmare to read through.. posts like mine encourage PMs. PMs where real information is given. keep your stupid comments to yourself next time.
[signature]
Like a FLAT OUT LIE gets a lot of PM's that contain real information! You are a internet forum MASTER..
I DON"T THINK SO !!!!!!!
[signature]