Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Submerged trolling motor?
Was at the lake yesterday and my motorguide Xi5 managed to come detached from the base and went for a little swim. By little i mean about 15 ft down and was submerged for about 2 minutes. I did something really stupid and went in after it as soon as it came lose. A few minutes...and a lot of swimming I had it on shore.

I let it sit for a bit and tested it, wouldn't power up. I have read that you usually just need to let them dry out. Is this true or do I need to contact Motorguide? Havent tested it today.
[signature]
WOW

Bummer!

Bet you were wide awake after that swim.

I'd let it dry for a day or two and give it a try if it was me. (The power cord might be damaged due to it being ripped out of the socket, etc. Something else to double check.)

Tom
[signature]
The motor shaft is an open air path to the motor, so there is most likely water in the motor housing. That and all of the electronics are water logged.

Depending on how handy you are, you could take the motor housing apart and dry everything. IE: take the armature and put it in the oven at 150* for an hour or 2, to drive out the moisture. For the rest of the motor, I'd take the top cover off and sit it in the car/truck for a couple of days to dry it out. Guess you could do the same for the armature, but I always bake them at low heat to make sure they moisture is out. Watch it with the oven temps too as you don't want to ruin the armature

You're going to need a seal kit for the motor also as you don't want to put it back together with old seals... Oil the bearing and bushing too.
[signature]