Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hats off to you Snake anglers/map cards?
You are spot on too be skeered of that river..... many of boat's have cracked hulls or tore up motors because gravel and rocks are not forgiving when you hit them, don't pay attention too anyone who has not ran a boat on this river! I have, i'm on my 4th boat, I can tell you the perfect boat for this river, a semi-v sled with a tunnel hull and a 150ish outboard jet, easy too lift with power trim too clean moss/rocks - it will run in 3" of water float in about 5" of water - if you don't know the river than I would putt along, there are places you can run a prop but usually not very long stretches, i've ran the river from haggerman all the way too Hells Canyon Dam - and I can tell you there is no safe place too run a prop without knowing the river.

The best advice I can give depending on what type of boat you have is too put in and always go up river, that way you can always get back too the ramp if you crack your hull or mess your motor up, also carry 2-6' long 2x4's and use these too get your boat "unstuck" when you put it on a gravel bar, slide them under the back of the boat and lift up, moves your boat a couple inches at a time, works great especially when your by yourself... been there.... I even used a pedestal 1 time cuz I too my 2x4's out, I don't suggest this as it dents your boat hull.

Than next is too be able too "read" the river, where the channel goes, the easiest way too figure that out is too get out and look at a river with someone that knows. I pretty much taught myself over the last 15 years of living here. If its not windy ripples are bad, stay away, means shallow rocks/gravel - you want fast water with "boil's" - but don't be Confused once the weeds start growing they make the water look like they have boils when the weeds go back and fourth under the water, spring is the best time too learn a river. Also you have too be aware of the CFS that river is running/how high. This can make a huge difference in getting into a spot in the spring and not being able too get there in the summer/fall when the flows are lower.

If you ever get over by Homedale, Idaho, PM me and i'll drive you down too the river and give you a quick lesson, most of it will be trial and error, Good luck!
Matt
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [fsh4fun05] Hats off to you Snake anglers/map cards? - by Duck-Slayer - 05-29-2016, 02:22 PM