Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's lake
Great morning on lake had to wait in line for a hour at state ramp to launch probely 100 boats today finally on water hooked on within 15 min the hour in landed a 7 lbs good healthy one
[signature]
With a 100 boat line, you deserved that fish!! Congrats. Mike
[signature]
Nice work! Did you snap a pic?

We intended to fish from the shore over by the county boat dock but waves were splashing against the bank over there. We eventually made our way over to Red Rocks and didn't do too well. Had a few hits but nothing to show for it. Overall it seemed pretty slow over there. Only saw one fish caught from the shore. Not sure how things were around the corner at the cliffs... lot of boats over that direction though
[signature]
Good work. We got our butts kicked. Caught 2 nice cutts my first 2 casts early Saturday morning with the fly rod and didn't have another touch all day.
[signature]
i sat at the cliffs this morning than the state boat ramp in the afternoon and didnt have a single bite today. one guy i talked to said he only caught one little one way early in the morning. he then explained to me how apparently the fish have started to spawn and and the bight has stopped. he did say though that it should be back on in two or so weeks. it was a long drive to get a sun burn... i dont know any thing about how the boarters were doing.
[signature]
We were up there yesterday also and the fishing was pretty slow for the boaters too. I think I saw your group set up on the bank in the cove between the cliffs. We trolled quite a bit using jakes spin-a-lures and needle fish without much success. We finally got bored of trolling so we anchored and threw out a bait pole with the good ol' worm and marshmallow while tossing panther martins and blue foxes with a spinning rod. My brother caught a little 12" cutt right off the bat with a panther Martin but that was it. Nothing was interested in what we were selling and we had to call it quits before noon so we could make it home at a decent time. Everyone we talked too had similar results. Thursday was much better fishing minus the psycho wind/waves in the afternoon. Friday and Saturday were definitely slow. It was beautiful though and good to back to Henry's.
[signature]
Talked to a few other boaters who were on the lake for a couple of days and it was real slow all the way around. We just happened to bump into a couple of retired guys on Thursday and Saturday. They were trolling and caught 6 Thursday AM, in the afternoon it was brutal with the wind and most smart people stayed off the water, one on Friday, and they were skunked on Saturday. The fish they boated on Friday was a nice 7 pounder though. While being disappointed in the catch, it was still a couple of great days on the water. We even hit Island Park a couple of afternoons but it was slow there. We are greenhorns on that water though.
[signature]
The fish spawn ended a good month or so ago, I have a hard time believing his claim that the bite is off because of that. Once ice is off is when the spawn really gets into swing. Fish have finished for the most part and have moved off shore. It is quite common though for the fishing to pick up 2-3 weeks after the opener. Not sure why, but seems like that's been the case for us in the last few years. Headed up Wednesday-Saturday, fingers crossed things turn around a bit by then.
[signature]
Welcome to the site, Fish-Offender! Hope to hear from you on a regular basis. Good report. Mike
[signature]
Fished for 3 days- just got back- Fly fishing- spinning rod- trolling. Pretty much the gambit. If it were me and I was gong again- I'd fish Island Park Res- much more enjoyable.

[signature]
Just got here to Henry's. Planning on being here until Friday. Fished tonight for a few hours and didn't get a bite. Talked to other fly and boat fisherman and they had the same luck. I'll be back out there at first light. I'll keep everyone posted.

Brady
[signature]
Good luck! I hope she treats you better than it did us! Looking forward to hear how you did. Happy Trails.
[signature]
What a day. I put 13 hours on the water today. It was glass most of the day which was crazy weird for Henry's based on my last trips.

I tried everything and I mean everything I finally got lucky in the early pm. I met a great guy in a float tube who was hammering them. He pointed me in the right direction and I started catching fish.

Small flies right on the bottom was the ticket. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Brady
[signature]
Did your small flies just sit there on the bottom, or were you reeling in slowly on the bottom, or with a piece of bait on them, and also how big were the fish.. I am sorry if I seem like I am being a pest for asking so many questions. Congrats on figuring out the secret, but dont catch them all as well. [Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I'm glad someone has figured it out.

Bill
[signature]
small chironimids right off the bottom at the Staleys wire.
Reb/black with a snow cone head was OK.
But Island Park res put out more consistently
[signature]
I had to have them moving to get any hits. I'd cast out, let it sink about 15 seconds (type 2 line) and then strip it in using small quick strips.

We're heading to Yellowstone today but hope to make it out tonight.

Brady
[signature]
Fished henrys the last 2 days with little luck. Tuesday I caught 3 by 10 am. 2 on leach flies trolling and 1 on a raider rapala. That evening we caught 2 with a gold rapala. Its dead all day. Today not a thing until 1 hit the gold rapala at dusk. The biggest yet at 2.65#s. The rest were little. I came off the lake around 9:15 and was the only boat on the lake. Apparently the local word is they cut the planting numbers 2 to 3 years ago in half. 1.5 million to 750k. Then one batch all died when they planted them. The whole dock was covered with thousands of dead planters. The ranger told a local there are just not enough fish. 2nd slow year at Henry's. I'll be stripping flies to see if that works better.
[signature]
Fished Henry's on Friday did not even get one bit it is amazing how one day the bite is good and the other you get skunked and I have sure been skunked a lot more since last season ended up going to the river below island res and caught a few and also caught a couple trolling on the res also the the wind was bad all day Saturday made it hard to fish
[signature]
How is the vegetation in the lake? Heading up in a little over a week. I fly fish and have a pontoon.
[signature]