Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pontoon Anchor
I have a couple of Dave Scadden boats and bought one his "star" anchors that is a good compromise between weight and holding power.

Anyway, it's sometimes a pain to transport the anchor because it can roll around on twisting or bumpy roads and the star points can do some damage. So I came up with a simple platform to better hold the anchor in place. Just drilled indents in plastic wood for the points and strapped it down.

I've seen on some drift boat trailers an anchor cradle, so might try to fabricate something like that in the future.

[inline IMG_0233.JPG]

[inline IMG_0234.JPG]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Nice work.

I'm guessing you use the anchor for stillwater fishing and not fast water.

How much rope/line do you carry for it?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
That looks like a sturdy anchor undor almost any situation. I have worked with several star anchors, spiked anchors and even deadweight boat anchors.

I found that the Folgers coffee can with an Eye bolt imbedded in cement seems to work better than many of the others. It weights about 12 lbs and can hold under low current conditions.

This Coffee can anchor works well with a tube, toon or even a Kayak. [cool]
[signature]
You come up with such wonderful ideas. We are going to try that mat thing in our boat too. We keep our anchors in ammo boxed, but this is clean.
Great seeing you two again.
[signature]
[quote kandersonSLC]I have a couple of Dave Scadden boats and bought one his "star" anchors that is a good compromise between weight and holding power.

Anyway, it's sometimes a pain to transport the anchor because it can roll around on twisting or bumpy roads and the star points can do some damage. So I came up with a simple platform to better hold the anchor in place. Just drilled indents in plastic wood for the points and strapped it down.

I've seen on some drift boat trailers an anchor cradle, so might try to fabricate something like that in the future.

[/quote]
Interesting shape and your solution for the points should do a good job.

What are the conditions that give advantage to this depth charge type anchor, over other types?

PM
[signature]
It is a Dave Scadden anchor. He designed it for the river more so then stillwater. The Cylinder with spikes is a common anchor around here. We built or own.
[Image: Anchor_zps59832c30.jpg]
[signature]