Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storing anchor ropes
I just got a new anchor rope (9/16" by 150' of polyester). All of my previous anchor ropes have come on a spool; however, this one did not. I have watched a few online-demonstrations on how to coil a rope for storage and will likely use one of them. I would appreciate any input on how best to store an anchor rope of this size.

Thanks,
[signature]
I simply coil it in 1 ft circles in the bottom of my anchor well, then sit the anchor on top.
[signature]
I cut a board out of 1/2" plywood which is about 18" long and 10" wide. I cut large "V's" in the board on each end. I wrap my anchor rope around the board and it stores nice and easy in my anchor compartment. When I want to remove the anchor from my boat, I grab the anchor and the board and simply take it out. I don't have to fight with a bunch of lose rope. I also have 150' of anchor rope but I don't have 9/16", I use 3/8" solid braid nylon and I have an 18lb anchor and never had a problem with it.
[signature]
[quote BearLakeFishGuy]

I cut a board out of 1/2" plywood which is about 18" long and 10" wide. I cut large "V's" in the board on each end.
[/quote]

I like this solution.

[quote BearLakeFishGuy]

I also have 150' of anchor rope but I don't have 9/16", I use 3/8" solid braid nylon...

[/quote]

I have used nylon before and didn't like the feel of it on my hands. I also prefer the larger diameter because it is easier to get a good grip on it to lift the anchor back into the boat.
[signature]
Hmmm..solid braid nylon is the softest rope I know and doesn't kink or fray. Maybe you're thinking of the hollow-core nylon which is cheap crap.
[signature]

I use a 3 1/2 gallon bucket in my anchor well with holes in the bottom of the bucket to drain water. Coil the rope around inside and put the anchor on top.
[signature]