Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wierd fish at palisades
So I fished paliSades yesterday from 7-12 caught one nice brown on a worm. But the thing that caught my eye was tons of these weird looking striped fish. They were everywhere, possibly spawning. They kind of looked like some sort of sucker or lamprey they were all about 1-2 lbs and were stacking up on top of each other in the shallows near rocks. At first I thought they were bass but on closer inspection I realized they werent and I have no idea what they could be. I tried comparing them to all the fish in my regs book but none seemed even close. Anybody know what they were???

Btw heres a couple pics of the brown I got, was right at 17 in. I was getting alot of bites til about 10 when it started getting warm and the bite shut off. I only landed the one and was getting tons of short strikes but it was a nice one and I had fun.
[signature]
Did you forget to attach the pictures of the "weird" fish? Hard to have an opinion unless we can see it.
[signature]
I didnt forget, I just didnt take any. They were about 6- 10 ft deep hugging the bottom and I could only see them with my polarized glasses so I figured my 5 mp camera on my phone wasnt gonna see them.... they were all about 1 or 2 lbs, 12-15 inches long with black horizontal stripes going the length of their body. They were shaped similar to a trout but definitely werent trout. Thats all I got if that helps???
[signature]
Sucker. I forget exactly which variety. But I'm confident that is what they are.
[signature]
[signature]
Ha! Funny to see roughfish referenced on here. I'm a regular on that forum too...
I'd agree that they were surely suckers. Probably Utah Suckers though (though I'm probably the only one who gives a hoot [:p]). The range map on that white sucker link is a little misleading. There aren't any whites in Idaho to my knowledge
See also http://www.idahoafs.org/fishes.php [url "http://www.idahoafs.org/fishes.php)."][/url]
[signature]
I just know I've seen suckers that look very similar to the one in the picture in Idaho. I'm certainly not a sucker expert................. I also think it fairly well fits the description given.......

Again, without a photo of what he saw it would be difficult to determine. I'm just throwing that out there as a guess. I have no idea how many suckers get that dark horizontal stripe on them.

As a side note, don't miss spell striped sucker into a search engine (stripped sucker was what I typed in the first time), you might get something you weren't looking for.......[blush]
[signature]
LOL yeah gotta be careful there! [laugh][laugh]
I always do that with striped bass... can never remember if it's "striper" or "stripper" LOL

The stripe is very common in spawning suckers of many species. Whites and Utahs do look very similar so the description would fit until you started counting fin rays and lateral line scales etc... The range doesn't match though.

But you're certainly right though. Without a pic, can't say for sure. Just throwing my $0.02 out there [Smile]
[signature]
Yep that was definitely it... the first pic with the fishermen holding the striped one is what they were. Thanks! Never seen the stripes like that
[signature]
in the different rivers i have fished here in south eastern Idaho those fish are all over. they sure do make great raccoon and ground squirrel bait even though i haven't shot either before... but here is a pic of what my friends and i did one day on a fishing hole in marsh creek near Inkom in one afternoon

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/data..._photo.jpg
[signature]
Hope you took those with you!
[signature]
Like peirce said, I sure hope you didn't leave those too rot on the bank.
[signature]
might I ask why would it matter if I did or didn't
[signature]
Utah chub. They look a little different than a sucker but are exactly what you are describing. There are both species in PaliSades. This is the time of year they spawn. Used to go sit on the banks of PaliSades as a kid growing up over by McCoy Creek at night next to a hug bonfire and catch hundreds them and feed them to the seagulls the next day. They are a bottom feeding menace but serve their purpose in life for as bait for large lake trout.
[signature]
How many reasons do you want? Biggest reason is because leaving piles of stinking dead fish on the banks gets public access areas closed down. I have never personally fished where you caught these fish, but I have dealt with this on my local waters. Just 2 weeks ago I cleaned up a nasty pile of rotting suckers someone left at a boat launch. If you don't want them in the river, then find somewhere else to put them.
[signature]
this was private property of which i was fishing and also it isn't illegal it is just a matter of opinion. Its just like hunting. you don't have to keep jack rabbits or ground squirrels why is that you might ask its becasue they are a pest just like these fish. in this photo there are suckers and carp a non game fish in the state of Idaho. i agree with you about the public places and how annoying it is where there are nasty dead smelling fish, but that's at a public place this was private property along a stream that only gets fished by kids of which i still was when I took this photo.
[signature]
Think there might be a few purists roaming around in this forum? LOL [shocked]
[signature]
Stinking dead fish is my favorite smell...who doesn't love that!
[signature]
Yeah, I'm a purist. I like pure air without the smell of a pile of rotting fish.

Whether or not you kill them is up to you, but when you don't dispose of the corpses properly it offends anyone else that comes within a mile of your trophy pile. [shocked]
[laugh]
[signature]
I have always chucked them up on the bank. They never last long, birds love them and clean them up pretty quick
[signature]