Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strawberry weekend 6/5/16
i got a late start Saturday but decided to go up to the berry for a solo over niter, just to beat the valley heat. I set up at soldier creek around 3 pm started fishing ,i tried the 50/50 method and set up the down rigger the 50/50 method picked up a small koke right off the bat but that was it for that rig for the weekend . i was bummed to say the least. i picked up on decent koke and 2 smaller ones before last light all on the down riggers at 20 to 35 feet. beached the boat and set up for a cool nights sleep. got out early Sunday on sc again trolled and drug up 2 or 3 more kokes all released. Packed up and headed for the berry side trolled and trolled and trolled managed 4 more kokes fishing and several more cuts ,most action came after noon right about when i was getting ready to leave . checked the water temp by diving in found that water was well cooler than i thought and failed the shrivel test[Wink]. decent trip but fishing was very slow paced and hardly any cut throat action made it seem dead.
[signature]
Thanks for the report and pic Rich, at least you caught some fish. On the 50/50 method, how much line did you let out before you but the weight on?
[signature]
I put out 50 feet then a 1 ounce snap weight then another 50 feet , then I let the board out a 100 feet . I picked up a small koke on it right off the bat and thought I was really onto something but it was the only fish I got on that set up.
[signature]
We did suuuuuuper good this past week at the Berry running boards and catching Kokes.

I ran a 1oz tungstein slip sinker several feet ahead of the dodger. Then 50 feet of line out and off to the mast mounted boards 75 feet out. Koke after Koke on this set-up in the morning hours. Guessing I was fishing 12-13 feet deep or so at 1.4-1.5mpg GPS.

IMO the 50ft before the snap weight is just too much/not needed. Sure makes for one heck of a lot line out and a pain to bring that much back in.

Tom
[signature]