Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brand new angler
I am brand new to this sport. I bought a rod and reel, but when I try to spool line onto the reel it explodes off at the least bit of slack causing a tangled mess. What am I doing wrong? Help.<br><br>
I had the same problem when I got a new reel about 35 years ago. Let me try to remember how I fixed it. OK I got it now. When installing new line to a reel hold the rod 3-6" infront of the reel , place the line inbetween your thumb and finger with a light drag. Crank on the line keeping a light drag on the line. This gets the line on in short order and it will be fine. One point to remember: do not install more line than the reel specks calls for as you will have lots of problems when you try to cast it. You will again get what I call "the spider web tangles" The bigest help I can give you is "PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE" <br>I hope this will help you. And by the way: Welcome to the wonderful world of fishing. <br><br>Texas gulf cost fisher.
<B>ssor scores!</B><br><br>I like to put a pencil through the hole of the spool kick back on the lazy boy run the line through the first loop then in to the reel.<br><br>As ssor says don’t fill above a 1/16-inch below the level of your spool.<br>Another good tip to be added to the tip of the day for Ice Fishing.<br><br><br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>Lookie See what the kids are up to.<br>Dave T. Clown
What type of reel are you putting the line on? If an open-faced spinning reel, try putting the spool of line, on end, on the floor. Thread the line through the first guide (closest to the reel) with the reel mounted on the rod. Use the light finger pressure as suggested by Netman. Crank on a little bit of the line (~5 cranks) having the line coming off the store spool over the end of the spool. Release the finger tension and move the rod and reel closer to the store spool. If the line seems to kink, flip the store spool over on its other side. Crank in 8 to 10 more cranks and check for kinking again. With the store spool sitting on its correct side, the twist of the line coming off the store spool exactly matches the line twist caused by the turning bail on the reel and all line twist is eliminated.<br><br>Hope this helps. <br><br>
put it on da way it comes off,...i like daveTclown`s way cept i mite fall asleep N lazyboy...ha.......out of 5 young`ns i useally git 1 of`em 2 hold it......Bsafe!......<br><br>
I did not read all the posts but if using a level wind reel same direction the reel winds the same way the line should come off the spool...ie...the pencil way. If you have a spinning reel u will want to place the spool of line flat on the floor and thread through the closest eye to reel and tie to reel, once u begin to load the reel pay close attention to line twist, if u start to develope a twist turn the spool on the floor over, then load the reel to within 1/8 inch of capacity. Good luck, and keep fishing<br><br><br>