Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cascade trip
My oldest son and I made a trip up to Cascade last week fishing Thursday, Friday and Sat. Targeted the perch but caught a few small mouth and trout in the process. We had never fished the soft water there so it took a little exploring and trying several things until we figured things out, then it was game on. Had a blast, weather was beautiful with temps in the upper 70's and no damn "Power Squadron" to deal with. We had several boats around us at times but never really noticed anyone doing much good on the perch, don't think they had ever seen anyone fish perch the way we were. Looking forward to a return trip in Jan. Great place to stay in Cascade at the Birch Glen Inn, great Staff and very friendly. We have already booked several weekends there next "Hard Deck" season. [Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
Nice catch. Way to go. Would you mind sending me some info on what you were doing that was working so well?
[signature]
I took a pole and put a hook on it with some bait and cast it into the water and when IT felt a tug I lifted my pole quickly and then reeled in and unhooked the fish. I hope this helps.
[signature]
I was going to make a comment to that but decided to delete it.
[signature]
Sorry just poking fun at a friend
, my appoligizes.
[signature]
I knew you weren't talking to me, life is too short to get wound up over the little things. I would be glad to share info with people who would return the favor but so far I haven't experienced that on the Idaho fishing forum.
[signature]
I'm sure I probably deserved everything I got on this thread. Hope your next trip goes as well as the last one did.
[signature]
[quote idahopanfish]I took a pole and put a hook on it with some bait and cast it into the water and when IT felt a tug I lifted my pole quickly and then reeled in and unhooked the fish. I hope this helps.[/quote]

I'm certain I deserved that......... :-)
[signature]
Seems like you might be a bit unhappy with the folks that contribute (or don't contribute) here.

Let me make an attempt to make peace with you.

Hope you have a great day. I know I will.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPy0ctqMwE0
[signature]
Got to love the internet heroes who post pics of fish and then act above those who try to learn.

Any success I have had for perch at cascade this time of year is looking for them in 10 to 20 ft of water, tipping crappie jigs with a small piece of worm and keeping it on the bottom or close to the bottom. When there is a really big school, Often we will get hits as the jig is sinking to the bottom. When the fishing is really really good, no need to put any action on the jig, just simply hanging the rod over the edge of the boat and waiting for the bite.
[signature]
Talked to several guys that were using that technique, they weren't having much luck. I'm not putting myself above anyone, my son and I had a great trip for our first time on the lake especially after I was told by the locals that the fishing was very poor so our hopes weren't too high the first day. I wish you all the best on your next trip. [fishon]
[signature]
Hey, I hold nothing against PACKFAN for not sharing. I definitely have some stuff I hold kind of close to the chest. Especially locations. I don't often gives those to anyone.........

I catch my share of perch on many occasions. I just know that my last couple of trips to Cascade were not up to my normal expectations and I'd love to learn something new.............

When I can find a school, I rarely have any difficulty catching perch. It's the scattered perch or finding schools that is not so easy for me. Of course, on my last trip I had my wife and G/K's so I wasn't as "intense" as I might have been if I was alone or with another fishing buddy......

It's has been a while seen I've seen numbers of quality fish like PACKFAN was showing off. It's a very nice catch indeed. I don't feel a bit bad about being envious either. [blush]
[signature]
I don't mind sharing info with someone I know, I have met several guys from Idaho that I have talked to that I have invited to come down and fish Willard Bay with me for the walleye and wiper when the bite is on. I did meet a young gentleman in a kayak fishing near us the last day we fished Cascade and I gave him one of the rigs we were using and told him about the BFT site, he was from Boise and is registered as a member now he sent me a PM and said he picked up several nice perch one being a 15 in. The only person that I have shared some info with is Duck Slayer and we have chatted on the phone, on this trip up Matt didn't point out any specific spots on Cascade to fish but did give me an area of the lake to start searching and it helped. You all have a great summer, you have a beautiful state you live in, I was a resident of Idaho for 16 years and was stationed there twice while serving in the military. I miss it but my job keeps me in Utah. [fishon]
[signature]
Matt and I are good buds. I know him fairly well, I'd say. He holds back on almost all of his info. [Wink]
[signature]
When I lived out there, finding open water perch on Cascade was simple. I would troll small crankbaits such as Rapala Shad Raps along contours just outside of the prominent weed line. This is a fast way to cover large areas of water efficiently. Once I'd start picking up perch, I'd save a waypoint. Sometimes you'd pick up 2 at a time. After I had several waypoints saved, I'd key in on that specific area and switch over to regular spinning gear with jigs and methodically work that weedline with the Terrova. Once you were on them, it was game on.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Andy
[signature]
That's good input Andy.

Thanks.
[signature]
Obviously there were times when they are just hard to pin down. Wind, weather, etc. More often then not though, a guy could find enough to make a successful day of it.

I also found some real nice cohos on accident doing that. 20" fish that fought like crazy. Perfect bonus fish. Anyone know if they still stock them in Cascade?
[signature]
Last Coho stocking in Cascade that I'm aware of was in 2011. I seriously doubt there are any left since a 5 year old Coho would be unlikely.
[signature]
I knew you two were friends, and that he is pretty selective on what info he gives out, I respect anyone who does that.
[signature]
Perfect technique.[cool]
[signature]