Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard with son
Both my oldest sons have strange work and day off schedules. So while I was on leave this week I was able to take one son to WB yesterday with the hope to get him on some Wiper. He was out on Willard last October with me and caught 3 very respectable Cats, and skunked his old man in the process. Yesterday I almost thought it was going to be a repeat of last October, only with Wiper this time. We weren't 10 minutes out of the south marina basically running just about due north, and had barely got our line in the water. And his took a hard north-east bound hit and line screaming drag stripping Wiper run. 5 minutes later, he had his first ever WB Wiper in the boat. He was totally sure that it was bigger than it actually was, and all I could say was welcome to what addicts a lot of us to WB. A junior size wiper that hits hard and runs fast. Just wait till someday he hits a 5 pound 24 inch fat boy that imitates a front runner train.[sly]
About an hour and a half later, bang, he hooks up the first ones twin.
The end of the day score........son 2 Wiper , 1 Cat. Dad 2 Cats. All fish released.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thanks for sharing. The fish looked big. I guess they get really big up there. I have never been. I guess it is time to try it.
[signature]
I don't know if it is my little cell phone camera, the angle, or what, but it wasn't as big as it may look. I didn't measure it, but would guess it was no more than 14 - 15 inches long, and about 1 pound. But even junior size ones like that, when they hit and run at full speed, and then fight all the way back to the net, they always feel bigger than they end up being. And for someone that hasn't hooked one before, they can really get your heart pumping. My son thought they would be 3 to 4 lbs. each, and was amazed that at the fight it put up for ones much less .
[signature]

Cool
Those are fun to catch. I wish I had your camera, the ones I take pictures of always look smaller than I remember them being.

Take a look at the attached picture of the measured 20.5" Wiper caught on Thursday.

Brian
[signature]
I think it's the difference in cell cameras. I still use a small flip phone, and your picture looks as if it was taken on a newer smart phone.
When I take photos for the Catfish contest, in order to get the whole fish in the shot, I have to back up a ways, then the numbers on my bump board get blurry. If I zoom in for more definition on the board, I can't get all the fish in the one shot.
Oh well.................[:/] I did make a modification to my board today, but haven't taken a photo of it yet. Maybe tomorrow if I get a chance to get out on WB.
[signature]

Cool
Awesome report. It's always fun to catch (or help someone else catch) a new species. I need to get me one of these magic cameras that make fish look bigger than they are. [Wink]

How's the water level at WB? I drive by often on I-15 and it looks like it's been coming up. Is there enough to get a 18.5 ft Bayliner out of the marinas and into the open without running aground?
[signature]
Haz, water levels at WB are higher than they have been in 3 years or more. You shouldn't have any trouble at all with an 18.5 ft. Bayliner. Recommend keep your motor trimmed up while on the ramps, but once you get off your trailer a few yards you have plenty of depth. South marina has one ramp blocked up by the heavy equipment they are setting up to build a rock structure out off the south wall somewhere. but the other 2 ramps are good. Marina depth is 6 to 12 ft. channel is 15 to 18 ft. and even the outlet "hump" is 10 ft. +
Depth over the island is 10 to 13 ft. and it isn't buoyed. Everywhere else is 10 to 25 ft. or more depending how close you get to the walls.
I'm heading up that way this morning. My Tin-Can, throw a wave if you see me.

[inline "(04) 20 Mar 16 Launch @907 AM.jpg"]
[signature]

Cool
Thanks for the info, TC! That's great news. I may now have to head out after the wondrous wiper that is all the rage. Hopefully I'll be able to post my first wiper pic this summer.
[signature]