Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tagged South Fork Cutthroat???
Hey all. I am trying to figure out what exactly this is on this cutthroat I caught last week near Heise on the South Fork. I have my guesses, but thought I'd see what anyone here might say. Let me know. It was stuck between the pelvic fins.
[signature]
Looks like a wire for a transmitter for tracking the fish.
[signature]
Yeah, that is my guess. I have caught a lot of cuts on the S. Fork, but never seen any with one of these. Would just be cool to know more about it.
[signature]
Yep, antenna for a tracking transmitter. I caught a big brown with one years ago at Chester dam and called F&G. They told me what it was and asked if I kept the fish or released it. Said they like to get data from them but if I kept the fish they like to get the transmitter back.
[signature]
Oddly enough I caught a fine spotted cutthroat out of Black Canyon on The Bear River with one. Not sure what it was doing in that river as it should only be Bonneville cutts. I asked the regional director and he thought maybe it had escaped from one of the private hatchery ponds up there and then must have been electro shocked and tagged. He seemed kind of annoyed that his workers tagged the wrong kind of fish though.
[inline "snake cutt small.jpg"]
[inline "pit trout small.jpg"]
[signature]