Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum Dam 6/9
It seems to me that my fishing trips have been too few and far between this year. We are almost half way through the year and this is just my second fishing report. That's just Sad! [Sad] I feel like I need to turn in my "man card" but since nobody's asked me to turn it in yet...I might just hang on to it a little longer. I've taken a few short fishing trips this year, just nothing worthy of taking up my time to write about or wasting your time to read them.

I had a skunk-trip to Bear Lake on 5/14 with my dad, daughter and nephew. We had a couple fish hit our lines but nothing that wanted to stay on. The biggest tug we had that day was the craggy bottom near Cisco Beach yanking the downrigger weight clean off the line. My daughter blamed the bad luck on my new Columbia fishing shirt I received as a birthday present. It hadn't been worn before and had not yet proven itself as a lucky fishing shirt.

We went out on Hyrum Dam for a very crowded Memorial Day morning and almost got skunked. My nephew ended up catching a rainbow that at least kept the skunk away but still didn't turn out the way I had hoped. Once again, I was wearing my new "fishing" shirt and that is what took the blame.

Yesterday I decided to leave school a little early and take the boat to Hyrum again. I brought my cousin, my three girly deck hands and my new "unlucky" fishing shirt along for the voyage. We were on the water around 5:30-ish and had lines out shortly thereafter. Rounding the southwest corner we had our first taker. It hit on a pink & purple flicker shad. During the hand off of the pole to my tiniest deck hand the fish came unbuttoned and waved goodbye. Not five minutes later we had another one on the same lure. This time Miss S was able to boat the fish.
[inline "First of the day.jpg"]

That was our last fish for the space of 2.5+ hours. This was when the whining and grumbling started. With the lack of fish and the beastly heat beating down upon us it felt like we were stuck in the doldrums. The snacks and drinks shortly lost their novelty and the pint-sized crew was ready for mutiny. The smallest of them came to the wheelhouse where I thought I'd be given the "black spot." Instead she decided to curl up and was quickly rocked to sleep by the swells made by the ski boats and the rest of the power squadron.

[inline "Nap time (1).jpg"]

I was somehow able to convince the crew that neither I, nor my shirt, was a Jonah and that nobody needed to be thrown overboard. Although the 70+ degree water temps may have actually been what the parched little sea dogs needed. We continued to troll everything we had, dodgers, squid, Rapalas, Spin-n-Glos and worm harnesses. The fish continued their hunger strike.

At long last the sun reached that special point in the sky that takes the edge off of the heat. The disgruntled fisher girls started to become a little more…gruntled.

[inline "Happyish Crew.jpg"]

As the sun reached the top of the Wellsville Mountains the action started to pick up again. This time the fish seemed to prefer a fire tiger Rapala and a craw colored flicker shad. Each of the girls was able to catch a fish and we had another six or seven fish spit the hooks and laugh at us. We made it back to the boat ramp just before 10:00pm.

The girls got ready for bed while I put the boat and gear away. Just before bed it was brought to my attention that we didn't take any pictures of the last few fish caught by Miss L and Miss K. We quickly snapped a fishy pajama pic and tucked a tired bunch of scallywags in to bed. [inline "time for bed.jpg"]

While I cleaned the fish I realized that my new shirt had some fish blood specks on it with a hint of fishy smell. I guess my "unlucky" shirt might be turning into a "lucky" shirt just yet!

[inline "catch of the day (1).jpg"]

[inline "Dark Meat.png"]

Here are the lures that worked:
[inline "Lures of the day.jpg"]
[signature]
Great report. Awesome to see the young ladies starting early with fishing. I assume they are all your daughters? Best of luck the next 15 or so years. I have 4 sons, 1 daughter, 1 granddaughter, 1 grandson. And I can hardly wait till the 2 grands are old enough to get out on the boat with me the way their dad and mom used to.

My daughter in 2004 when she was 9 years old, and our first trip to Mantua in first boat. That was her stringer of Bluegill, Perch and Rainbow, and that one trip hooked her on fishing. She doesn't go as often now that she is a mom. But she still like to.

[inline "(36b) Ali's 30 Blue Gill Mantua Resv.jpg"]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[quote Tin-Can]Great report. Awesome to see the young ladies starting early with fishing. I assume they are all your daughters? [/quote]

Yep. All daughters at my house. I tell people it's either because I'm a girly man....or I am such a manly man it takes three girls and their mother to counterbalance that much manliness in the home. My cousin that went with us on this outing also has a whole mess of daughters. They were supposed to come on the boat with us too, but couldn't make it. I don't know if we're quite up to the task of having six little girls on a fishing excursion all at the same time. We might have to break them up by age group. That would be a good excuse to make more fishing trips![Wink]

These young ladies started fishing very early. They all have pictures with their first fish before the age of three. There might even be a pic or two of them in a backpack on my back while fishing. Start them young and they get hooked on fishing. In the winter they beg me to take them ice fishing.
[signature]
anyone who takes their young kids fishing is a badass in my eyes. well done!
[signature]