Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kokanee no problem, but need help with lakers
I love fishing the gorge but need some help. It seems so easy to limit out on the kokes by fairly early in the morning, but then what do you do the rest of the day. I have tried to troll around and pick up some lake trout pups but I must be doing something wrong.

I have 13 and 15 year old boys and we need something to keep our interest after we are done with the kokes. Any advice would be great.
[signature]
Well it seems that we are just the backwards, we can catch the MAC's but can't catch the Kokes. WE are going to be there in Lucerne this Thursday thru Sunday looking for them. Great Fathers day gift, nothing but fishing!![cool]
[signature]
I'll be with a venture group just after the 4th near Dutch John.

I need to know where/how to target fish in that area. I've had some success with Kokes at the Berry. I have the rigs and know how to find them on my sonar.

But I'm a sponge for any other advise fishing the dam area.
[signature]
I'll be up there this weekend also, we need to touch base and exchange some knowledge [Smile]

If you want to PM me your number or if you have a radio on your boat send me your boat name and we can touch base
[signature]
Depends where you're at really. I fish mostly in the canyon and have been picking up some pups and bows while targeting kokes early in the morning with shallow gear (planer boards and snap weights). They've been tight to the surface too. I've been trolling four rods when we're out, two out to the side with planers and two on the down riggers. When I'm trolling kokes and mark lake trout deeper, I'll quickly drop the down rigger set and try to catch them. If I mark some concentrations of them, and can't catch them trolling by, I'll set a waypoint and try to find them later. If I'm specifically targeting the lakers, pups in this case, they seem to prefer spoons like Northland Forage Minnows or RMT Viper Serpents at a slightly slower speed (1.6mph) than kokanee. It's always fun to jig the concentrations too, using a 3-4 inch white tube jig or jigging spoon tipped with sucker/chub meat.

Hope that helps a little, Ryno
[signature]
I've had some recent success in the mouth of Dutch John Draw, in the main channel between Cedar Springs and Mustang Ridge, and of course in Jarvies Bay. A lot can change by the time of your trip, but those are pretty traditional areas.

I've had lots of variation in productive gear the past couple of weeks. One day spoons work best, the next day it's a dodger/squid. My best spoon as of late has been the #2 Needlefish in pearl/red. Best dodgers have been RMT 4.25in dodger in watermelon, hyperplaid, and bahama mamma. Best squids last weekend were actually 1.5in Radical Glow tubes in watermelon and light pink. RMT Signature squids in double glow pink and pink haze were also doing well, just not this past weekend (for us anyway).

Hope that helps some and I'm sure there'll be some additional insight by the time of your trip. Good luck, Ryno
[signature]
Thanks for the advise! We will be staying in the Mustang Ridge campground and fishing early each morning for several days.

I've been considering using a couple trolling poles on planer boards and dropping downriggers deep with lures for the Macs but with stackers at Kokanee depth.

Thoughts?
[signature]
What speed do you normally troll for Kokanee if 1.6 MPH is slowed down for MACS?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Yeah, we troll 1.5 for kokes and the same for macs when limited on kokes.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Lately I've been doing best around 1.8 mph. I've gotten them as fast as 2.2 mph and even slower like dubob suggests.
[signature]
For Lake trout troll 100 to 200 feet back, right on the bottom, that means put your down rigger ball in the mud. Fish Swim beach, Antelope Flats or Linwood Bay.

As a Fishing Guide at Flaming Gorge for 10 years I had the opportunity to fish for Lake trout for thousands of hours. I can teach you every thing you need to know to catch big lakers in just a few emails. Send me a PM.

If anyone wants to know where my best Flaming Gorge fishing spots are at, send me a good detailed map of Flaming Gorge and I will mark it for you and send it back.
[signature]