Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DEER CREEK RES AND BASS FISHIN
HEY !

I am new to this forum and i hope to get to know y'all a little more over time.

I am thinking about hitting up Deer Creek this Sunday (fathers day). I haven't fished DC since i was a kid so i really don't know where to start.

I don't have access to any boats so i will be shore fishing but i would really like to start to learn how to catch those bass. What works for the bass at DC? Do i really have a shot of catching any from shore?

Any other bass fishing tips are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dana
[signature]
I don't fish Deer Creek a whole lot, but when I do, it's from shore and I usually am able to catch at least a few smallies. Smallies like rocky bottom and flooded brush, the combination can be good. I've done well on the legal side of the buoys at the dam and I know Walsburg bay is good. The island area should be good too. Jerkbaits, small Senko style baits, smaller spinnerbaits and 3" curly-tail jigs should produce some good action for you.
[signature]
I used to fish there for bass all the time and caught plenty of fish from shore. The areas mentioned were the areas I fished and I did well. I also fished off the deep side of the island and managed into my second best walleye at 27"

I caught a ton of fish on just a simple gold bladed Panther Martin. I also did well with grubs, tubes, drop shots, small spinnerbaits and jerkbaits, sometimes topwater poppers. Small sluggos also did well at times when the fish were shallow. I spent a bit of time fly fishing there as well and caught many on various leech and baitfish imitations (which is also how I caught that big eye).
[signature]
By rocky bottom look for areas that have rocks that are at least softball size or larger.

If the shore looks like the gravel in the driveway I have a bass now and then but they are concentrated in the areas with larger rocks for the bait to hide in.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
With the high water, your choices are limited. One area that is accessable is the shoreline to the left of the Island boat ramp. You can walk around the boat storage area and down that steep shoreline. I would swim a grub, 3 & 5 inch, green or brown, on a 1/4 or 5/16 ths head. Don't cast straight out, but quarter your casts down the shoreline, then just swim the grub back. You can use crankbaits, spinnerbaits, etc, but grubs are cheap and you will hang up quite a bit .
I went up yesterday evening after work and caught 16 between 6PM and 9PM in my Tube.

If I were shore fishing, I'd Texas-rig a 3" watermellon senko and hammer the rocky shorelines. You can walk the rocky areas of Walsburg or park down by the tracks in Charleston and work up.

You will get a bit of a hike in moving around.
[signature]