Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holmes Creek Reservoir
[font "Arial"][size 3]Ha[font "Verdana"]s[/font] any one been on the ice at Holmes Creek this year? How much ice and how was the fishing? Trying to find some fish to catch close to home. To many things to do and no time, but I have to go fishing![/size][/font]
[signature]
I've been wondering this myself. Someone recently was inquiring about crappie in a secret lake, and I had the feeling that this is the one he was talking about. Anyone? Beuhler?
[signature]
i won't give up someones secert but i will tell you that was not the lake fishfearme was talking about
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I’ve been thinking of going out on Willard one day this week. If you or anyone wants to get together and go send me a PM.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I didn't think you could fish on Holmes Creek in any way, shape or form. Float tubes, boats, or on the ice. Am I wrong?[unsure]
[signature]
you can fish there no swimming tubing or boats not sure about ice fishing
[signature]
[blue][size 1]Been a long time since I was on that pond. Matter of fact, my last trip there I went through the thin ice, trying to "rush it".[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]In better times, before the drought dropped the level and messed up the ecology of the lake, it was a good spot for big bluegills, slab crappies, small largemouth and the occasional walleye.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Here are three pics from the past, including some evening bite bluegills. One of them was over a pound.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have yet to catch anything out of that pond. I fished it about 5 times this past summer with no luck. I keep hearing stories of giant largemouths there, but I can't find them--any suggestions??
[signature]
its properly known as companies pond. the actual holmes creek is on private land and as far as i know it is closed to fishing.
[signature]
that is the proper holmes creek. cant fish it anymore last i was told. too bad cuz i knew there were big crappie and bluegill in there.
[signature]
Hey Pat (aka TubeDude),

You never cease to amaze me with how many places you have fished, and that you have pictures of those places --- also, that you can put your hands on your pictures quickly!
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Watch carefully. Not once do my fingers leave my hand.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Glad you appreciate my photo archives. Like most of us, I only wish I had more pics of more times and places. Some of my best trips and most memorable catches remain only in the database of my memory. Unfortunately, that gets pretty cluttered and is not much helped by defragging. It also doesn't do worth a hoot at file transfers or prints.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I am sorta happy with the way my recent scanning and organizing project came out. I have vast albums of photos from the past (well, maybe half vast). I made it a point to go through and scan them into digital pics and organize them into folders by area, category, species, waters, etc. I also was smart enough to back them up on a CD when I finished the main project. Lost a whole bunch last year when my computer barfed.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The one downside of that extended trip down memory lane was that it reminded me how many "once in a lifetime" shots I never got. Just a suggestion from an old guy looking back...never leave home without a camera and always make sure you have film and/or fresh batteries and a memory card with space left on it. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]With the dropping costs and increased simplicity of the digitals these days, there can be little excuse for not capturing the magic moments of your family and fishing excursions. There are so many things you can do with digital images, for saving and sharing, that once you get involved you wonder how you ever got along with the old film boxes.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Anyway, thanks for the kind observations, Kent.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
It is open to fishing and referred to as Holmes Creek Reservoir by the DWR. The fishing proclamation only says no watercraft. The water level has been very low the last few years, and has not helped the fishing.
[signature]
you can fish on the ice and this year THEY allowed non-motorized boats on holmes
[signature]
Holmes is a walk in access-you can get a free permit online from dwr. If you don't mind small trout there are a ton of them.I fished it last week fairly close to the dam in about 10'of water.fish were right on bottom.Any small jig with wax worm will do the trick. Good luck.
[signature]
Fished it last Friday. No problems 5.5" at that time. Got on at dam and walked out across to the south east side.
21 fow, plenty of trout and gills to keep you busy
tried a variety of baits and it didn't matter what we used to include plastics and live bait.
Good luck.
[signature]
I bet troutboy is now a troutMAN! This has to be a record for a bump! [laugh]
[signature]