Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'new and improved' lure wisdom
I've read hundreds of articles and scanned many catalogs every year for new innovations in lures. After awhile it's difficult to tell what is new or improved and what is plain, commercial hype. Remember the Flying Lure that could catch everything from sunfish to musky. I'll bet hundreds of wives and girl friends sent their money in hoping that their guys would be amazed at their wonderful gift. My wife did. Ditto for the banjo lure, the crankbait that lit up or the one that had a sonic chamber that hummed with a battery powered vibrator. Fish might be dumb, but they're not that dumb. My old time favorite was the pocket fisherman, that was even useless for ice fishing. Too bad those companies couldn't have been sued for false advertising. <br><br>What's even worse is when a sports writer or pro endorses a new lure that was never tested under various conditions by a cross section of anglers. Trick photography and edited segments blow you away with the lure hanging out of the fish's mouth. This is usually followed by a 'scientific' explaination of why the lure is so versatile under all conditions.<br><br>Strike King has produced some good lures in the past, but Dance's show over the years has turned into one big infomercial; the same for Roland Martin. At least Martin is a marine biologist, though his BS at times tops Dance's. Though boring, at least The Fishing Hole with Mckinnis, doesn't push products, just places to visit and guides to hire. In-Fisherman is one of the few shows worth taping and watching, and offers valid variations of lure presentation, types, sizes and colors for various species and conditions. The many photos of lures they show may be sponsored by the companies represented, but most work or are classics.<br><br>Quite a few fishing shows are just plain stupid and appeal to yahoos who like watching good 'ol boys ooh and ah over fish that are never impressive because you or I weren't there to witness how they caught them or even if they caught them. The lure in the fishes mouth keeps flashing in and out of veiw, so you can't get a fix on its characteristics. Keep the bull but just show me what you caught it on. A picture is worth a thousand words and videos, like 'Fishing from Top to Bottom' and 'Bigmouth' are classics of underwater photographed, attacks of bass chomping on various, classic lures. Glen Lau, with Homer Circle, have produced the best educational fishing videos ever made. No hype,just fact!<br><br>Before you put your money down, look for basic lure characteristics that make sense. Keep in mind size, color or flash, vibration, profile, speed limitations,<br>hardness, softness, seamless construction, quality of components, top to bottom application, the activity level needed for a fish to inhale it, best or various retrieves that apply to the lure (ie.swimming,hopping, steady, jerk etc.), action or motion underwater and most of all, how well does it stand up against other classic lures in it's class. Garbage on sale is still garbage. <br><br>So think twice before wasting your time or money on junk, junky shows or junk literature (except the swim suit issue). Fish with someone, anyone, but just give them experimental stuff you have'nt caught fish on yet, and experience learning for youself and your partner.<br><br><br><br>
many valid points, <br>some thing to think about, how do you think they got up close to film those bass hitting on those banjo's?<br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>Lookie See what the kids are up to.<br>Dave T. Clown