Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishing pre and post spawn fish
Different bass spawn in different spawn-stages and at different times. While the pre-spawners begin to cruise shallower water(relative to the average depth of the lake),other bass that haven't begun prespawn, are hungry and feeding just a little deeper until they too, begin to move shallower. <br><br>The firm-soil, flats in your lake are key areas that will attract all species, either on their breakline or on top of the flat. At all times in spring, note shallow, emergent vegetation's growth and size. Relate the aggresiveness of the bite of pre and post spawn fish and the locations on the flats that you caught them.This establishes the spring pattern for that lake.<br><br>Spawning bass are a no-brainer and harrassing them is too much like shooting fish in a barrel. I'd rather entice shallow pre-nest fish, especially aggressive males that like to bully anything in their backyards. Bass or pickerel can both be found on the same flats, and charge a large topwater spook, a 12" Bass Assassin Worm or an 8" Zoom lizard from 10 yds. away. The more emergent the vegetation, the more viscious the strike. I'm only talking 1.5-3'depths. Think big-baits with big surface disturbances that stay in the area a long time after one cast, as you jerk and pause it.<br><br>Remember, L-O-N-G casts (due to shallow and clear water factors) and a strong non-stretch line (ie.20 lb test Fireline). Prespawn fish like mid- lake humps and areas adjacent to points, which they use as staging areas prior to going shallow.<br><br>Tidal water is a great place to fish for pre and post bass spawn. The same things above apply, except lure types are usually non-surface, even though large. Crankbaits, large plastic worms and spinnerbaits usually work best for me around pilings adjacent to flats AND deeeper water in the main creek channel. Fallen trees that are adjacent to 10' and that lie perpendicular to the shore hold one or two 2-4lb. fish. Again, no- strech line allows you to direct them away from the tree limbs. <br><br>Remember flats and wetlands and with hard bottoms. (Mud is for carp and they never mix with sportfish because for their feeding habits.) <br>Spring fishing is a blast that keeps on giving from April 1st to the middle of June. <br><br><br><br>
sounds like good advice but for me I tend to leave the bass alone, they have an important job to do, and like me when I am working I dont like to be bothered.<br><br>thats just me.<br><br><A HREF="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/" target="_new">http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/MESS6438/</A> <br>Lookie See what the kids are up to.<br>Dave T. Clown