Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell question
going to Lake Powell Sunday thru Wed Wahweep bay area does anyone know what the stripers are doing?
[signature]
Take a nap mid day because you'll need to be up early. Boils are small fish bigger fish are 25 to 60 troll shad raps brown and green or anything perch early then switch to bright orange and yellows or silver when the bite slows.
[signature]
I was up around Bullfrog and the open water slurps were mostly dinks. In the canyons held bigger stripers casting some powerbait shad minnow that I use for umbrella rigs. The smallies, largies and stripers were tearing them up. I'll see if I can a picture of them. Watch out for debris, giant trees in the water. Like said, fishing is best butt crack early. Sardines caught just as many for the line danglers as I was working shoreline in the canyons
[signature]
Be sure to check the definitive report on Powell:

[urlhttp://www.wayneswords.com/index.php[/url]
[signature]
Thank you for the information
[signature]
Thank you
[signature]
bamffisher -- we just returned from Bullfrog, so things might be different at Wahweap -- but we found that the "get up early and stop fishing when the sun comes up" was wrong!

Slurps are currently happening lake wide. We found slurps increased in frequency and intensity after the sun hit the water. Slurps continued until about 1:00pm, then died and never returned until the next morning.

As others mentioned, the canyons (Ice Berg) seemed to hold larger fish, while the main channel had schools of smaller fish. No matter, they are all fun, and we picked up numerous 18" stripers from those schools in the main channel.

I was using all sorts of lures to see if any worked better than any other -- jerk baits, mepps spinners, Zara Spooks, cranks, spoons, etc. -- the real key was simply casting out in front of the moving school. Those fish are looking up and in front of them. If you cast behind, you won't get them. We finally settled on using the Zara Spooks for two reasons: 1) you can cast them a long ways! 2) top water stripers are a blast!

The one thing we really wished we would have had: fly rod. I think you could absolutely crush those slurping stripers with a big wooly bugger / zonker / etc.

Trolling worked pretty good too. You could troll some cranks and stay pretty busy catching stripers. Just keep another rod rigged with a Spook ready to cast. If you see a slurp, cruise up and start casting to the front of the slurp.

good luck. You're going to catch fish!
[signature]
Thank you for the website
[signature]
Thank you I have spooks and I will take a fly rod
[signature]
Been crazy catching back up at work so haven't posted my report yet, but just spent a week in Wahweap, the fishing was awesome.

Tons of top water action early in the morning. I found slurps all over, even during middle of day, but there were a lot more in the morning or evening hours. Both sides of the castle rock cutout were high active areas, especially early before lots of boat traffic. I caught fish ALL day long, even the middle of the afternoon.

I caught lots of stripers trolling different cranks, some that were very healthy. If you are in to bait fishing, using anchovies along Canyon walls was a hit! I also spent a lot of time in Last Chance and the stripers and slurps were all over up there as well. I stopped by the dam and fished the wall and landed 3 healthy stripers in about 5 to 10 minutes. I went back that evening and boated 40 fish in about 2.5 hours. Most of them 3 lbs, a few pushing 5 and of course a few dinks.

I saw someone already mention this, but the fly rod is great at powell too. It's great for the slurps as generally they were smaller fish and I have a light fly rod. Throw a fly into the slurp and fish on! I also love fishing the rocky shorelines with my fly rod.

Waynes world is a must for lake powell. Don't forget to check his weekly report as well as the anglers corner where people will share there trip reports lake wide and generally pretty frequently.

Catfish are also active right now, found lakewide and fun to catch. I did hook into a couple of Walleye near Lone Rock.

Good luck! If I wasn't catching fish quickly, I was moving and it seemed to pay off. I did mark several schools that were not and would not feed, but found plenty that were =)
[signature]
You should register for the tagged walleye contest in case you catch one, at http://wildlife.utah.gov/lake-powell-tag...ntest.html. Details are in the Wayneswords forum site.
[signature]
Thank you The feed back is getting me fired up to get there. Thank you again
[signature]
I will Thank you maybe I will catch a tagged one
[signature]
I saw that they were doing that, although I never fish the north lake where all of them were released.

Still....Fish move and like you said, why not just in case.

Thanks!
[signature]
was you using anchovies at the dam and can you use carp meat for the catfish at Lake Powell?
[signature]
Anchovies at the dam, sometimes a little movement was key.

I have never used carp meat there, but there are a lot of carp and catfish...would probably work great.

I've been fishing lake powell since I was a little boy and I have caught more catfish on just regular old white bread than anything else. Park it just out of sight in the marina and you will quickly find a cruising cat. Out on the lake set it on the bottom. I've also caught a bunch on anchovies sitting on the bottom.

Thanks
[signature]
Thank you
[signature]
[quote Koko21]I saw that they were doing that, although I never fish the north lake where all of them were released.

Still....Fish move and like you said, why not just in case.

Thanks![/quote]

fish were tagged and released in the south lake as well. if you want details on locations of released tagged fish, look at this link:

http://wayneswords.com/index.php?option=...Itemid=102
[signature]
Nice thanks!

I must have previously checked while they were in the process and thought that was all the locations. Looks like I'll have to join in.
[signature]
If you want catfish use some hot dogs and a long shank hook and just use some meat and skin from the side of the dog, they like beef dogs the best..We have got cats over 28" long and lost some even bigger..

We fished for them when we would take a heat brake, and our swimming did not run them away..
[signature]