Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franklin County Meeting - Watercraft Inspection Issues
I have been invited to attend a meeting tonight on the watercraft inspection stations/Quagga Mussel issue in Franklin County. The meeting is at 7:30 pm at the Farm Bureau Building. They are going to discuss my issue paper and other items related to this matter. Anyone else want to attend? Ill post up some notes on this tomorrow when I get back home. Hoping for some positive outcomes and decisions supporting Idaho Residents.
[signature]
Don't let them off easy [Wink]

Looking forward to the your notes.
[signature]
Well attended the meeting and for most part, it turned out as I suspected. Canal Companies and at least the District Manager for the Franklin County Soil and Water Conservation District listened to concerns and issues, but, had their backs bowed and were basically not open to much for cooperation, partnerships, grant money or anything else unless the public, ie; boaters, fishermen, recreationist, etc came up with the money and then gave it to them to do additional inspections. I really pushed partnerships and gave them places that are available for grant money, including Idaho Parks and Rec Waterways money, but it was only moderately accepted, and again, those agencies/companies said that they would not do the work to get the money, it was up to the public. I stressed the public has already put money into this process, but, they really didn't care.

Dept. of Ag was there and again stressed that in Idaho, under Idaho law, if you stayed in Idaho, there was no need to have additional inspections and what was being required was strictly from the Canal Companies and no one else. In the discussions, it really didn't appear that from the comments from the individual from the Dept of Ag who was there they more or less had their back bowed and didn't really want to work with cooperate with the public or the Canal Companies to try and keep additional inspection stations open.

Talked about duplication of inspections and launch fee (not supposed to be a launch fee, but an inspection fee but this was hotly argued) of $20.00. F&G suggested reducing it down at least to $10.00 but that basically fell on deaf ears. Even though the Canal Company and Franklin County Soil and Water District data and money collection was down about 30% from last year. Surprise surprise Smile.

I brought up and stressed that there really needed to be more public outreach with information as to why the need for these inspections, fees, etc. The Canal Companies and the FCSWD said that the information was such a moving target that no one wanted to take on putting public information out there. The campground host at Twin said she agreed with the need to information to get out there because so many folks, especially from Upper Snake River area come down there to camp and boat and have not heard about the restrictions and they get there, get mad because they have to go on to Franklin City to get inspected and then come back. She said she gets it every day and gets tired of it, but this even fell on deaf ears.

We all tried to figure out if the Canal Companies are going to continue to require inspections how those of us in the Upper Snake River area can get inspected without having to go to Franklin and then come back to fish. I suggested putting an inspection station at the Inkom Port of Entry south bound. F&G thought that was an excellent location and the Regional Fisheries Biologist said he would take this back and see what they might be able to help with. Department of Ag representative said they would not support an addition inspection station. Again, he seemed to just bow his back on anything trying to help the public.

I really pushed cooperation with public, grant money, partnerships and this all feel with luke warm water on deaf ears. I was continually told that if additional money was going to be required, the public, recreationist, and boaters etc would have to pony up the money, but the FCSWD, Twin Lakes Canal C. and Consolidated Canal Co. would not put any money into this program and it was up to the public to fund all of this no matter what. I said the public had put money into this program, in the tune of over $1 million dollars and in FY17 the Dept of Ag was to get between 1.7 and 1.9 million dollars specific for inspections. The rep disagreed on that, but I was supported by several others as to this ear mark. He didn't like being challenged on that issue.

Overall, my impression was that F&G wanted to try and help the public and others to resolve a lot of these matters, and everyone else there had their backs bowed and were not going to give much on the whole process unless more money was put up by the public as the public was to blame for the whole issue was my take on where this is at. And this has been going on for over 2 years meeting month after month and no one willing to move a bit to work together unless it specifically benefited the Canal Companies and the FCSWD.

Financially, the FCSWD is over the money collection for the Canal Companies, not sure how this is done, but anyhow, the money that is being collected only allows the check stations at all the reservoirs to be open between another 2-3 weeks. And unless something earth shattering happened, I was told in no uncertain terms, that the Canal Companies would shut down the reservoirs to all fishing, boating, etc.

So with that folks, I don't think we will get much further and it appears to me to be a dead end situation as to many backs are bowed and they don't want to hear anything from the public unless you want to give money to which there does not seem to be a lot of oversight on how it is collected or what it is being used for.

So good luck, but, if I do hear more, I will keep everyone up to date but, don't expect a lot of movement.

Some other stuff was talked about, but, those really involved with this really didn't want to discuss it or hear it so it fell on deaf ears. This is the highlights of the meeting.

Have a great holiday weekend and be safe in all you do.
[signature]
Thank you Duksnfish and F&G for trying!

I sure wish that they would at least listen to logic and common sense.
[signature]
Thanks for the information . Fish and game needs to stop supporting stocking in any waters that are being so strict. They don't realize how much money is spent in the area of these lakes .
[signature]
If anyone wants to see what the future would be like if the state took control of all public land this is another case. The public will be locked out. Another for instance is the Vardis Fisher Pond in Hagerman. The state parks owns it but since the ground water users made a deal with the state and a fish hatchery is not running the fish farm that company used HASAP regulations to close access to public land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazard_ana...rol_points
[signature]
All the lakes around Preston were built by the canal companys.
Guess you guys are all about destroying private property rights.
[signature]
Not at all Dale. I am just saying if Idaho gets a hold of all the public land then this will be the new normal.
[signature]
So are they talking about closing down every lake, or just Twin and Glendale? I wish they would at least consider allowing non motorized water craft. The chance of something like a float tube transferring mussels is pretty much 0. I guess I'll have to spend more time wading streams and fishing for smallmouth if they close them down.
[signature]
If they shut down due to no money, it would be all reservoirs under their control. As I understood it, if you walk in/wade in that kind of fishing would still be open, but any watercraft would not be allowed.

And the private property issue is way more than just saying it is private property issue. Goes to water rights, public established access, on and on and on. Involves much more that we as public have no control over.

I am on a fire in California, so I cant get on here much while out, but, will try and check on this info off and on and if I get or hear anything, I will post it up.

As for F&G, they fully understand publics issues and are trying hard to support us and help get issues resolved. Give them all the support we can as I think they can push issues much better than a lot of us.

Thanks
[signature]
I sure hope that doesn't happen. That would pretty much shut down the good largemouth fishing in the area. Sure you can go to Treasureton and catch one good one for every fifty 8-10", but that gets old, plus the whole barbless hook thing, and they're likely going to poison it anyway. And Weston is fun sometimes but it has had serious water level problems the past few years. That would be it really. Kind of frustrating when I think of the thousands of dollars in gear that I've purchased just for fishing these places.
[signature]
"but anyhow, the money that is being collected only allows the check stations at all the reservoirs to be open between another 2-3 weeks"

If this comes to fruition, then that makes 2016 a very short boating/watercraft season.
[signature]