Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where to launch from at Strawberry for Kokanee?
I'm going to be taking the boat up there next month to have some family on the boat and fish for kokanee, I have never fished there and am wondering which marina to launch from to access the kokes?
[signature]
Renegade, fish the Narrows.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][cool] I will RESPECTFULLY disagree with Remo. The kokanee schools move around - a lot. They will be where you find them and sometimes they hide real good.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I have caught limits there in 90 minutes or less on both the Berry side and the SC side. On the Berry side, my best chances have come about 1 mile out from the ladders and just east of the marina about a half a mile. I have yet to catch one south of Haws Point or near Renegade, but others have done well there.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]On the SC side I have caught them near the dam, in the mouth of the Narrows, and on the west side just north of the Narrows.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I have yet to ever catch one anywhere IN the Narrows and I have never even seen a school of them in the Narrows.[/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Find the schools and fish the depth they are at. Change lure colors often if what you use doesn't produce in 15 to 20 minutes. Try squid AND beaded spinners. Tip each hook with Gulp ALIVE maggots (pink is probably the best color) and a good kokanee scent on each lure doesn't hurt either. I like Mike's Kokanee Glo Scent. And if 5 other guys/gals chime in, you're likely to get at least 4 different opinions than Remo's or mine. [Wink][/#800000][/font]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Good luck and have fun.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Sounds like good info. to me! That is just where I have caught them in the past, but like you said, they move around, here one day gone the next.
[signature]
IMHO - if you go in a month, it is not going to matter. I have caught very few kokanee after July 24th. You can still catch a random koke here & there; however, I have never been able to catch very many after the 24th date. It may already be slowing down? Had a phenomenal day last Thursday (my best day this year) & only caught 6 in the past 2 days of fishing.
[signature]
[quote fish_hntr]I'm going to be taking the boat up there next month to have some family on the boat and fish for kokanee, I have never fished there and am wondering which marina to launch from to access the kokes?[/quote]

Like OFC said Koke fishing will be about over with in Aug.
and kokes move a lot so you have to find them
if you want to catch kokanee then you will need to go to FG.
[signature]
Is flaming gorge kokanee season longer than strawberry? I went koke fishing for the first time ever this past weekend trolled around Strawberry Bay just right outside the marina. I ended hooking 2 kokes I'm about 4 hours of fishing. Only fish I caught as well.. I saw most people on their boats headed out to the east side by the narrows from the looks of it that was the hot spot.
[signature]
[quote liketrolling][quote fish_hntr]I'm going to be taking the boat up there next month to have some family on the boat and fish for kokanee, I have never fished there and am wondering which marina to launch from to access the kokes?[/quote]

Like OFC said Koke fishing will be about over with in Aug.
and kokes move a lot so you have to find them
if you want to catch kokanee then you will need to go to FG.[/quote]

We aren't set on kokes, just whatever hits, the berry is just what is close enough to the valley that we can do a quick trip up there before school starts back up and will keep the kids' attention. I will be at the gorge most of the first week of September for the good stuff.
[signature]