Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a big dip net for minnows.
Hello Folks,

I want to get a large dip net to catch bait.

In general I will put the net in the water near weeds and use a stick to scar bait into the net. If the handle is strong enough I want to be able to swish the net in the water to scoop up bait, hopefully suckers. At this time I don't really intend to use the net as a landing net.

Two main questions here.

I see references to the net being 9 inches deep, 17 inches, 24 inches. In general, about how deep of a net should I get for my purposes. At first I thought a shallow net would be fine, but then though they may get out before I take the net out of the water. Maybe too deep a net and the net would simply collapse on itself and the fish couldn't even get in there. As you can see, I'm finding such a simple thing a bit confusing. The last I used a net was almost 50 years ago, and they were very different then.

Second, swishing the net in the water would be my secondary use but, many of the nets have some kind of octagonal, coated mesh that seems would be difficult to swish through the water. Should I look for some regular nylon mesh, or is that coated mesh just as easy to swish?

Thanks,
Harry
[signature]
Adding a comment myself.

It also seems that coated mesh stuff would be more visible and scary to the bait and they would shy from the net more. ??

Harry
[signature]