Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freaking Engineer
So I got a little crafty on Friday while I had the day off. When I bought my truck it came with some bed rails mounted in it. I have been kinda thinking on the matter of how I could mount some rod holders to these rails to get the rods out of the bed and not have to worry about things sliding around and snapping them.
[signature]
Very nice & look good too! Better get them to market!
[signature]
Need to get a patent on those quick !
Throw a lounge chair back there and you can back it right up to the lake and fish from the bed of the truck.......
Ingenious , and looks great too.

Tight Lines...........[fishon]

BD84094
[signature]
I think your idea of getting your rods off the bed of the truck is right on. What I see in the pictures make me wonder, when driving to and from the fishing hole if the bounce of the truck combined with wind passing through the rods is a good idea. I can only imagine the rods getting to flipping around, tangling with each other especially if you have any weight rigged up with them; slip sinkers, heavy lures etc. I would also be caucus of them slipping out of the holders when driving down the highway. Just a few thoughts.

RJ
[signature]
[quote r2u2]I think your idea of getting your rods off the bed of the truck is right on. What I see in the pictures make me wonder, when driving to and from the fishing hole if the bounce of the truck combined with wind passing through the rods is a good idea. I can only imagine the rods getting to flipping around, tangling with each other especially if you have any weight rigged up with them; slip sinkers, heavy lures etc. I would also be caucus of them slipping out of the holders when driving down the highway. Just a few thoughts.

RJ[/quote]

He could always make a few DIY rod leashes. Just youtube "Building a Better Rod Leash". It is a tutorial on making them out of Weed Eater line. Simple and quick. It is what I`ll be doing for my kayak.

TWG
[signature]
So after this got installed on Friday, I took a trip up to Boise with two rods in the holder. Whole way up I was cruising at around 85-90. the rods would bounce a bit but I just ran a rubber band over the top of them and they stayed there almost perfectly minus a little bounce from the road.
[signature]
Thank you! And I haven't tried fishing with them yet.
[signature]
You'll never catch anything trolling at that speed!
[signature]
So what do you do when you stop at a gas station to refuel and use the facilities. Your rods are easy pickins for any light fingered louie that passes by !! Need some kind of locking system to keep them safe from thieves.
That I am in the process of figuring out. I am thinking a bar of either plastic or metal that will attach with a hinge on one side and sit over the top of the vertical leg on the reels and had a padlock on the opposite side.
[signature]
Even if I took a chain and mounted it to the squares on the side of the black tubes I could run it across the reels and have an eye bolt on the opposite side in the same spot and loop it over and run a lock through it. Seems like it would work ok. Any thoughts on that?
[signature]
Kite string tied from the reel to the trigger of a 12 gauge.
All thieves need to be eliminated.
[signature]