Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st time trailer backup by 18yr old Girl
So, I took my daughter to Strawberry last week on July 16th. We arrived around 10am and were fishing down at renegade.

The place was PACKED. There must have been 30 boats out and 5 or more tubes out there. I've never seen so many people fishing there all at the same time.

I'll tell you what. I think all the fish are dead down there. I couldn't even get a Crawdad to pretend to be a fish...

We tried jigging with tube jigs tipped with worms. Tried plain worms, tried trolling with same, with Rappallas, tried mystic vudu and hypnosis and nothing worked.

The wind picked up to probably 10 mph from pretty much zero at around 10:45am and didn't let up for the rest of the time we were out. Probably until 2pm.

I discovered that there is in fact a PHANTOM MUTANT BREED (PMB) of fish in Strawberry. From all the evidence I could gather, it appears to have arms, legs, lightning speed, and enjoys tormenting perfectly nice fishermen like me who's only wish is to gently jab a hook threw its jaw and pull it out of the water and release it gently back into the abyss.

The evidence is clear.. How can you get a pole bending bite, jerk, and have nothing there? This happened about 5 times with no hooking of the PMB. I've had a crawdad hit my line before and that felt a lot like a fish, but this was different, unless the crawdads have been working out..

The force of the strike was very strong and it bent my pole, but I jerked, and nothing was there. That dang PMB was playing with me. With one hand it was stealing the meat off the hook, and with the other, he was simulating the jerk of a whale.

Oh well, just another unknown and unexplained Strawberry experience.

We ended up with just a few bites and one fish that was hooked and brought to within 4 feet of the boat. I caught it, and it released itself before I got it in the net.

Pretty slow day for sure.

That all being said, I LOVE fishing at Strawberry !! The views are amazing, the experience is FABULOUS, and spending a few hours alone with my 18 year old daughter driving up, fishing, and driving home without any interruptions or distractions was PRICELESS !!! I had a GREAT TIME. Maybe not hooking more than one fish was to allow us some more uninterrupted time...

Of course the highlight of the day was when my 18 year old daughter said she would try to back the boat trailer down the ramp while I sat in the boat and waited our turn at the ramp. Now, I really wish I had a camera because I was pretty much guaranteed to win any crazy boat ramp video prize and have the video go viral.

Alas, I didn't record this event.

What happened next was simply unbelievable. She pulled forward down the ramp far to one side. Executed a PERFECT U-Turn at the bottom of the ramp in one fluid motion. Began backing slowly down and with 2 very very very tiny adjustments and a nice slow pace, She backed the trailer into the water and to the perfect depth as though she had done it thousands of times.

I was STUNNED !!!!!!!!!!!! Who'd a thunk it ????? Just when you give up hope on the next generation of kids, one of them rises above them all and executes a perfect boat trailer backup maneuver and removes all fear of failure for her entire generation. There is hope for the future, there is light in this world. A child exists that can back the trailer perfectly with her first attempt !!!

See ya all later, and happy fishing.
Well the good thing is she doesn't let anyone drive dads truck while he's at work or out of town she does it herself, the bad news is dad just found out what she does when dad isn't around lol. J/k bud :-)
[signature]
Congratulations to your daughter. She did a whole lot better than I did my first, second, third... time backing up a trailer.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl]Congratulations to your daughter. She did a whole lot better than I did my first, second, third... time backing up a trailer.[/quote]

And then there was that ONE time!![laugh]
[signature]
[quote remo_5_0]

And then there was that ONE time!![laugh]

[/quote]

Sorry, but I wasn't backing up my boat at the time my Suburban was turned into a submarine.[laugh]
[signature]
What a great post, I really enjoyed reading it. Maybe because it could just as well have been about me and my daughter.

But I'd hate to see a video of the first time I tried to back a boat down the long ramp at the Sacramento River almost 50 years ago. Very embarrassing.
[signature]
To be honest, she backed the trailer up better than I do... She's meticulous..

It's great to be a dad !!! (sometimes [Wink] )
Are you sure she wasn't simply aiming for the Pokémon sitting in the water? But congrats, my wife is yet to back my truck up.
[signature]