Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7.31 rough day at Electric Lake!
Slow slow day on Electric. We took 2 boats up and caught 13 between 6 of us. We trolled all day looking for a few Kokes to bring home, once we found a group we caught 4 in 4 passes. Nothing with size today, caught 3 tigers, 3 cutts and 7 Kokes. Could only entice them with RMT Dodgers in yellow and then the fusion, a snell with a brass spinner blade and a white squid with a pink blade.
Tried trolling minnows and caught a couple but we broke our needle and couldn't thread the fish. One of these days we will get into the bigger tigers, just wasn't today.
[signature]
Nice to see some fair sized kokes coming out of there. I'd imagine over the next few years we'll know if they are going to naturally reproduce.
[signature]
I have never done well trolling at Electric Lake. I have tried it two or three times, when the jigging was slow, trying to find active fish to jig to again. Last trip, we trolled about 1/3 of the lake and only got one hit for our efforts. Fortunately, we found a nice school (not found through trolling) for jigging. Love that place, except for the deer flies. Did you get any deer fly bites?
[signature]
I have never done well any where trolling for tigers. Much better jigging. I think they need that erratic movement.
[signature]
It has been several years, but I have had success trolling on Huntington. Strange thing is that, even trolling with lures with treble hooks, I missed an unusually high percentage of hits while trolling up at Huntington.
[signature]
Funny thing there. I miss a lot of the fish at Huntington when I am working a wooly bugger. They seem to hit and then are gone.
[signature]
Love Electric.
How do you rig your minnows to troll?
[signature]
My brother got a deer fly bite hahaha, the rest of us were pretty lucky and didn't see much of them. But, we did see actual deer all day long, they surround that lake, it's pretty awesome!
[signature]
We thread a long needle through the mouth and out behind the dorsal fin and tie a big ol trebble hook on and shoved one of the three into the fish with the other 2 hanging out. It's pretty tough when the minnows start thawing. Then put the minnow behind some pop gear, the minnow looks pretty sweet as it swim. We should have used Dodgers instead of pop gear, more fishlike.
[signature]
[quote skidmarximus88]We thread a long needle through the mouth and out behind the dorsal fin and tie a big ol trebble hook on and shoved one of the three into the fish with the other 2 hanging out. It's pretty tough when the minnows start thawing. Then put the minnow behind some pop gear, the minnow looks pretty sweet as it swim. We should have used Dodgers instead of pop gear, more fishlike.[/quote]

GULP! minnows work pretty good as well behind pop gear.
[signature]
I will have to give it a try. I rig them diff. according to how it will be fished. This sounds good for a troll. Thanks
[signature]
[quote PACMEN]Funny thing there. I miss a lot of the fish at Huntington when I am working a wooly bugger. They seem to hit and then are gone.[/quote]

Sounds like you need a shorter tail on the fly. They are only tugging on the tail missing the hook.
[signature]
Tie a stinger hook right behind the fly in the marabou feathers. Tiger trout are notorious for short striking.
[signature]
I have shortened the tail to eliminate this but with not much better success.
I guess it just means I need to fish more.
[signature]
Try the stinger hook. Sounds like a lot of short strikes. I like the long tails on buggers. I think they help with the action.
[signature]