Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goat Packers / Tips
Okay, so my llama turned out to be a little rough for an unlearned trainer in the ways of llama whispering, so I figured I'd try goats...

Got me a pair of cute little pack goats to be... They are about four months old and much more friendly than the llama, however, my llama has since decided to become more friendly since he has some competition...

My question is, does anyone in BFT land use goats to pack into the high mountain lakes to fish? If so did you train your goats? and any tips for the new comer to save me some heart ache along the way?

My brother-in-law rented goats for a Uinta trip last week and said they are great, and he isn't an animal lover, so for him to give a thumbs up is a real endorsement...

I was already in the goat business after trading some hay for livestock, but I'm even more excited now... I may have to try renting some from the guy out of Evanston to see how to do this...

Anyone know of a good trail on the north side of the Uinta's where I could do a nice two day trip and find some bigger fish? If so PM me if you don't mind sharing.. Thanks J
[signature]
Jeff, just be sure they aren't the fainting goat variety............................................[sly]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Been wondering if a fainting goat might be a good idea for when the bear is chasing me, it might faint and become a bear dinner instead of me... No I actually got an Alpine/Saanen cross and a Nubian... I know nubes aren't supposed to be the best packers, but it's so sweet, I just really like that little friendly fellow... it's so nice to work with and it doesn't seem too lazy yet... Hope it will stay good as it grows up.. Thanks for insight Forest... Later J
[signature]
If it doesn't work out, please PLEASE invite me to the cabrito roast, willya?
[signature]
Hey Rocky I'll keep you in mind if we have a roast. Later J
[signature]
Jeff,

We had 3 alpines that we used to pack our gear. One was a single birth and very large, many thought he was llama. He could carry about 80lbs no problem. The other two only about 60 lbs. It was all weight we didn't have to carry. But we didn't condition them to be ok with getting rained on. You know how afternoon showers pop up when you're up at elevation.... well, there we were all on folding stools, under a tarp, to wait out the downpour when in came all three of them to join us, they knocked us backwards out into the rain while they stayed under the tarp... its was hilarious, but of course once we were back home they got remedial training - we'd shut up the barn and try to keep them from getting inside just before rainstorm... but the largest one - he took his head and butted his way into the barn made his own way in - he was not going to be kept out. Finally had to tie him up away from the barn.

They are very enjoyable hiking companions. They are less damaging that llamas or horses. And since they do not graze to eat, and they leaves pellets not pies in their wake so there is way less impact to the trails.

We had custom pack Saddles made for them (which we've since sold when we sold the goats once our knees could no longer handle backpacking). They were great - a Nubian? - sorry, but good luck with that one - they are not only lazy, but very noisy and whiney...

I'll have to check... we may still have a book about packing with goats that you can have - I'll let you know...
I had about 10 wonderful years with mine. I had three Lamanchas, two Saanens and a Alpine. I used mine for Deer,elk, and duck hunting. I helped to write a chapter of a book called Practical goat packing. I helped with the hunting chapter. The cover photo is my goat crossing a log. I went everywhere with them. They were wonderful. My Alpine Clint Eastwood was a goat I got from the pound in Sun Valley Idaho. They somehow got hold of me and asked if I wanted him. I packed out 6 bull elk on them and many ducks. I would walk into canyons that NO one was hunting and slay the ducks. I fly fished a lot of lakes.

[Image: THE_BOY7.jpg]

[Image: WEST_CR.jpg]

[Image: THE_END.jpg]

[Image: THE_BOY5.jpg]

[Image: THE_BOY3-1.jpg]

[Image: THE_BOY2-1.jpg]

[Image: IRON_BOG-1.jpg]

[Image: ELK_AND_-1.jpg]

[Image: CLINT_1-1.jpg]

[Image: BIG_CR_2-1.jpg]
[signature]
This is the book that my goat is the cover pic, and I helped to write.

https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Goatpac...oatpacking
[signature]
Thanks Jil that's some great info. I've heard that nubes are noisy, but my other goat is about the same. Neither one is bad unless you leave them alone. Glad to hear you had a mostly successful experience with them. Where did you get the pack Saddles from? I have some llama pantiers but I need a Saddle, but I got a couple years to get there. Thanks J
[signature]
Hey Ron, that's pretty cool and nice pictures. May I ask why you quit? Was it a time catching up to you or animals got too old and didn't want to train a new group? I've been trying to decide how long I can keep this up, they tell me it takes about four years to get the animals up to packing weight and size and then you can get up to ten years of service from the animals. That means I'll be 56 when they are ready and they may keep me going to 66. I'm hoping I'm still ok to pack that long, but I guess you never know. Thanks for the info. J
[signature]
[quote SkunkedAgain]Hey Ron, that's pretty cool and nice pictures. May I ask why you quit? Was it a time catching up to you or animals got too old and didn't want to train a new group? I've been trying to decide how long I can keep this up, they tell me it takes about four years to get the animals up to packing weight and size and then you can get up to ten years of service from the animals. That means I'll be 56 when they are ready and they may keep me going to 66. I'm hoping I'm still ok to pack that long, but I guess you never know. Thanks for the info. J[/quote]

In my case I didn't own a pasture I was bumming spots to keep them. I had a LOT of good times with them. I still have all my gear and some day if I get a pasture I might get some again. When one of my goats died I decided that I was going to sell them because it was going to be too hard watching them die. Back then I was doing a LOT of elk hunting. I didn't fall out of love with the goats it was more of a thing where I started to do other stuff more.

I started to compete in AKC events with my dog. I started fishing more with my float tubes. My kids got older and that took time. Again I would go back to using them and I have all the gear but right now I am not in the mood for it. Training took a lot of time and energy. I can tell you that there is nothing cooler than crouching between two goats and walking into a heard of elk and killing two bulls out of the heard.
I also liked watching horses buck off their owners when they freak out over seeing goats for the first time.
[signature]
Thanks Ron that's good to know. I can tell they will take plenty of time and attention. What's a good number of goats to take with you? Assuming you're going as a smaller group? I probably won't take more than 80 lbs of gear. I found another Alpine Saanen cross about the same age I might pick up while I'm doing it, I just as well have enough to do it right. Think I must be crazy, or really like backcountry fishing. Later J
[signature]
It depends on how hard the trail is. If your climbing 3000 vertical feet in a mile or two versus 500 vertical feet in 14 miles.
I used 4 goats to pack out elk. a boned out quarter per goat. On the bigger bulls that was a lot of weight. Several times some of my goats could carry 80 pounds each loaded with meat heading out.
Weight per animal is hard to give an amount. An energetic large goat might take 35 pounds all day. A fat lazy POS might lay down off the side of the trail and hide while your looking for him yelling his name. I wanted to kill that borrowed animal.
Goats that are worked from an early age are more willing to work hard. A older goat that has been a barn potato might not carry anything. My Lamanchas were the toughest goats I had. At 150 pounds I saw that pack 50 pounds or more and never give a problem. I had a 300 pounds Alpine that was not much good. Teaching them from an early age to work is the ticket. If I was going up steep hills with 80 pounds of gear I wold want two for sure and probably three to make sure that no one was getting over worked. For two guys I normally had three goats. I like to pack for 1.5 goats per person.
[signature]
Those platforms on elephants as done in India inspires me to think a smaller more agile version using one of our Utah mountain goats would be excellent sure footed mountain transportation. I would call it an all terrain Goater Home.
[signature]
Thanks Ron, that's great information and will help me a bunch. Thank you J
[signature]
Carry a water spray bottle. And if you need a cross buck I have an xtra
[signature]
I have family with goats, and have made one trip with them. Just remember that they are like you. If they don't get exercised then they will not be nearly as productive as they could be. They need the practice/training. the guy out of Evanston has goats that get plenty of exercise. My small experience was good. They followed right along with you, although they did not like to get their feet wet, so stream crossing was always interesting, and they are quite the jumpers.
[signature]
I need to get that bottle and get started. They are starting to want to linger and eat when I take them on walks, so I need to start teaching. I'll have to talk to you off line about the cross buck. I will need some. Thanks J
[signature]
Thanks for that info, ya know my sis and bro in law took those goats last week and loved it so much they rented them for a Wind River trip next week. Said his goats are the best. No lazy goats there. Later J
[signature]
Hey Jil, if you find the book I'd gladly buy it from you. Thanks J
[signature]