Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod holder?
i have a creek company sport lt and am wanting to build a simple rod holder out of pvc Does nobody have pics and can anybody tell me what size pvc i need?
[signature]
[#0000FF][inline "CREEK SPORT LT.jpg"]

This is a pontoon with a frame. That opens up more options for what kinds of rod tubes you install and where you mount them. The big consideration is placing them where they will not interfere with oars and rowing.

In looking at the overall design of your craft, it looks like you might want to mount a few tubes along the bar behind the seat. I am attaching some pics of how others have done that.

I am also attaching a writeup on basic PVC. I use schedule 40 PVC for construction pieces that need strength. Use type 200 1" tube for rod handles...for most rods. If your rods have bigger handles you may have to go up to 1 1/4".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Appreciate it. I had tried makingna simple one out of 1 1/4 but when i split the T to go around the frame it was too big so may need to go to 1" my rod fit the 1 1/4 with room to spare
[signature]
[#0000FF]Most standard spinning rods fit easily inside the 1" type 200 PVC tube...but not the thicker walled schedule 40 1". And the type 200 is harder to find. I almost always find it at Lowes but not at Home Depot.

Also, if you look in the plumbing section you can often find clamps for 1" frame pipe with a 1" fitting for connecting pipe. Better than drilling, but you can drill and screw...without weakening the frame...if you use some silicone seal around the screw holes to keep out water and prevent rust.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=614372;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]HERE IS A LINK[/url] to a post I put up a while back on completely pimpin out a pontoon...by drilling and screwing the connections to the frame. Some folks take exception to it but I have never known a frame to fail or rust because of it.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Appreciate the help. I like the design of those. Im not opposed to running a screw in the frame. I dont see it hurting a thing.
[signature]
[#0000FF]The only thing it might do is compromise a warranty on a new craft. But it has never proven to cause any structural integrity issues. If there is a concern for the potential for rusting...on a steel frame...you can put a blob of silicone seal on the hole before running the screw in.

The key thing on using the frame is to have a good drill bit for the pilot holes...and use good machine screws. I like 3/4"...8 or 10 by 32.

Have fun and don't hesitate to post any questions or send me a PM if you prefer.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yea i bought both of mine used so im not worried abt warranty. Rust isnt a issue bc there is other places water can get in also. Thanks for your help
[signature]
Just a heads up on drilling into the frame. I have two friends that did this and the frame cracked at the frame hole after a little use.
TubeDude is the master at rod holders. Any question he is the go to.
[signature]
I will post some pictures of rod holder on that boat.

[Image: 7-17-10-014.jpg]

[Image: 7-17-10-018.jpg]

This one has the back holder and a foot peg holder.

[Image: Ultralightcat3.jpg]

[Image: Ronslewistonpig1.jpg]

[Image: Ronstoon11-j.jpg]
[signature]