Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kayak Fishing / Introduction
Hi guys, I'm new to kayak fishing, used to surf fish the coast of california, moved here and last year been fishing the urban ponds until I got bored. Last month I bought a kayak and started fishing crawdad cove with little luck. I also troll crankbaits and lipless and always end up with a good workout but no fish. I tried launching to the gov't wash but I have no confidence w my 2wd truck so I'm sticking at crawdad. I will post my catch soon if I can get a decent one, Meanwhile any tips will be appreciated. techniques and rigs I want to learn, thanks.

My stepson is 11 and I also got him a kayak hoping to catch his first fish.
[signature]
[cool]Welcome to the board. Lipless cranks work good all over the lake. Get out early or go in late afternoon/evening and look for boils. Also invest in a cast net to catch shad in some of the coves. This is candy bait like squid is to yellowtails. Nothing beats time on the water. There are some nice coves around crawdad and boxcar. I usually launch from government and sometimes paddle around sand island and hit the large bay before crawdad. Also try flukes on a scrounger head.
Good luck.
[signature]
Check with Shogunoftgecity he has an ocean kyack background.
Also check his Facebook page too.
[signature]
Thanks for the quick reply, I actually have a castnet, I am still practicing how to use it. 😁 Looks easy on youtube but doing in on top of a kayak is a challenge for me.

The scrounger is new to me, I will get it soon and pair w a fluke. I did use fluke weightless last week but no hits. As It took me an hour to get to mead, I always spent long hours there, at one point we camp overnight and fish before sunrise, I could see stripers chasing baits but I only hook one small bass. I never saw anyone in a kayak yet but then again been there only 3 times, this thursday will be 4th and hope to be more lucky 😆😆😆 I'll post pic soon.
[signature]
Thank you for the info, I did watch him on youtube just awhile ago. I learned so much, now i have to carry scissors and chum as soon as I can get my hands on shads. Are shads catchable all year round?
[signature]
Wait until winter and drive out to South Cove. Easy fishing.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, new spot is always an adventure.
[signature]
last weekend I caught and release 12 striped bass. Today caught only 3 all are skinny and range from 8"-16". here is the 2 I caught on swimbaits today.
[signature]
[cool]Way to go . What size were the shad that those guys were after? All the shad I have seen the last two weekends have been small- maybe 2".
The wife and I went out last weekend also and killed them. Had a massive boil that was up for at least an hour. We caught about 20 total and kept 9 for the smoker.
By the way, nice looking kayak.
[signature]
Kayaking is the best!

I got myself a Jackson Big Rig about 3 months ago and love it.

Out here in North Texas I fish smaller lakes and ponds, with occasional trips into a cove or arm of a big lake. I have fished Fork, Athens, Grapevine, Lewisville, Ray Roberts and a few other big ones from the yak.

Now, when I was fishing Mead I just bank fished or float tubed. It would be a hoot in yak!

I will post some pics in a day or two. I forget how to on this board.

Anyways props on the fish and welcome to the plastic Navy.

Oh and PS. And I am sure you know this, but always, and I mean ALWAYS wear your PFD.

We have lost several yakkers here in North Texas over this last year to drowning and all were good swimmers...none had on their PFD.
[signature]
Be careful out there! While I am not in a kayak, I was almost hit by some drunk idiots this past week. Some dumb drunks (not against drinking either, but control yourself) were on a sea doo in Vegas Wash. Woman driving, dumps her passenger and while holding her beer and looking back, was coming straight for me. I started yelling and luckily she turned around and missed me.

Looks like you have a dark brown/greenish kayak? Will look for you out there and say hi if I see you. Heading out shortly myself.
[signature]
[cool]You are right about that. There are some people out there not paying attention while speeding in their boats/skis. I have a small red flag attached to my crate for a little more visibility. And stay closer to shore if possible. When out in large bays or open water I keep my head on a swivel. Also have a whistle or small air horn to blast at boats getting too close. Lastly keep NDOW and lake mead rangers phone numbers on your cell if you encounter problem boaters or witness an accident.
Dan79 is also correct in wearing a PFD at all times while in the kayak. You never know when you will take a spill.
[signature]