Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
getting larger boat. advice appreciated
So I've been moving up in the boat world. I didn't grow up with boats. I got my first aluminum boats in the mid 1990s. A couple years later i bumped up to an old 17.5' tri-hull outboard. Around 2005 i bumped up to a 19' runabout i/o with the Chevy 305. Now I'm looking at making a BIG leap up to a 24' cruiser to fit the family. The thing is huge and I'm a bit terrified i won't be able to dock it or put it on the trailer. Any helpful tips or suggestions? Maybe i should just try to find someone with experience and offer them free fishing trips for help learning to drive the beast. Thoughts?
[signature]
[quote addicted2fishin]So I've been moving up in the boat world. I didn't grow up with boats. I got my first aluminum boats in the mid 1990s. A couple years later i bumped up to an old 17.5' tri-hull outboard. Around 2005 i bumped up to a 19' runabout i/o with the Chevy 305. Now I'm looking at making a BIG leap up to a 24' cruiser to fit the family. The thing is huge and I'm a bit terrified i won't be able to dock it or put it on the trailer. Any helpful tips or suggestions? Maybe i should just try to find someone with experience and offer them free fishing trips for help learning to drive the beast. Thoughts?[/quote]

My thoughts are that even our 21 footer can be a pain to load/unload if it's windy, but an I/O setup may steer a bit better at slow speeds than an outboard. Most folks with larger boats simply rent a slip instead of loading/unloading each time they hit the water.
[signature]