Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay South 25 Aug
From the report, seems Tube Dude and I finally fished the same waters at the same time, just not out of same launch point and never knew the other was there [sly]

Had about the same kind of day. Didn't get on the water til about 0915. Headed east over toward the feed lot area, but decided to drag my "best-producing-this-year-lure" enroute. Lure in the water about 10 minutes, fish on, in just about the same spot I hooked up my Walleye last Saturday. Turned out to be cookie cutter Cat, but I'm done being surprised at catching Cats on a lure at WB.

Got anchored up just of the north west edge of the coffer dam brush exposed in about 9 fow. One line out with a night crawler, one line out with a mussel. On station about 15 minutes, and ziiiinnnnggggg.........both rods bent over and line stripping out (glad I had them both in rod holders [:/]) Boated a double, 1 junior size Wiper that acted a lot bigger than he turned out, and another respectable Cat. Released both. Then over the next 50 minutes, several light tug, tug, that stripped the mussel, a couple pick up, run, and drop, and 2 more boated Wipers.

About 1110, noticed a large dark cloud coming in fast from the west, the wind picking up a bit, so weighed anchor and headed back to south marina. But by the time I got to the buoy line, that cloud had blown over to the south east and was up against the mountains.
So, headed back to my spot, where I found 2 other boats in general vicinity. Seems we were all catching something regular enough to keep us "homesteading" the area. Stayed right there and used up the dozen worms and half a bag of mussels I had taken with me.
Final score for the day: 4 Cats (took one home) 8 Wiper (took one home) and an enjoyable day on the water.

The Cat I took home turned out to be a bit bigger than I had noticed when I boated it. Not as big as TD's, but big enough to make my 3rd entry for the Cat Contest.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Sounds like Tube Dude and yourself had a Good day of fishing at Willard. Last time I was at Willard I caught my first trolling catfish with that same kind of lure. (it made good jerky) Did you happen to see any boils?
[signature]
In the south portion of WB, no, didn't see any boils. Saw a few Terns diving and what looked like drinking, and some Greebs that looked like they may have been feeding on some of the minnows. Everything except for the first Cat, was caught with mussels on the bottom.
[signature]

Cool
[#0000FF]Sounds like you done good. Also sounds like the little stormlet that chased you off the water was the same one that sent me home early. I didn't want to make a long day of it anyway.

By the way, since I can't use that 29 inch catfish for the south, maybe we could fudge a little and let you claim it for the north. I already changed the name. But you have to edit out or explain that yellow swim fin at the lower right.

[inline "TINCAN FISH.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Well, not totally off the water, but I was heading that way.

[#0000ff]By the way, since I can't use that 29 inch catfish for the south, maybe we could fudge a little and let you claim it for the north. I already changed the name. But you have to edit out or explain that yellow swim fin at the lower right. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]

[#000000]No thanks, had enuf drama about giving or receiving fish. Would take it if I was starving, but never as a contest entry. [pirate] [fishin][/#000000]
[signature]

Cool
[#0000FF]You gotta know I was just kidding. I took that pic with the contest page just for grins. I knew I couldn't use it for the south contest, but had to "rub it in" on my buddy BLK. He won the thing last year but can't break 26" this year. He is torqued.

About the "donation" regulation, I think that applies to real fish...not pictures.

By the way, that fish was released healthy so he might just show up on your line. Hope you get a bigger one. Seems like there might be some left in Willard and you have paid your dues. You deserve a biggun.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[laugh] [#00bf00]Of course I knew you were kidding. I'm sure no one on here thought that was a serious offer. [#ff0000]I was being a bit of a smart____. [/#ff0000][/#00bf00]
[#000000]I don't know about a bigger one, but I boated 7 Cats and 4 Wiper today. But that report is in-work.[/#000000]
[signature]

Cool
I'm going to willard tomorrow. Could someone please tell me where to get muscles and how to rig them so I could get my boy into a few wipers? I would really appreciate the info. Thanks
[signature]
I get these at WinCo in Clinton. Sorry didn't see your post / question till just now.

[inline (0124).JPG]
[signature]

Cool
I use the same mussels from the Clinton Winco as Tin-Can, the way I rig them is I use a #4 hook with no weight. The mussels have a gristle spot in one corner I believe it is there foot where they attach to the shell. I put the hook through it and then hook it back into the meet. They stay on fairly well, just cast or flip them lightly and put your rod in the holder leaving the slack in your line and wait, they bite aggressively you will know when you have one on. This is the method I use from my boat. If I was fishing from the bank I would probably add a split shot to get it out a little farther.
[signature]
Meanmike, don't thaw them out before you go. And inside the mussel there is a little brown "bean" looking thing. If you can get the hook into that, they stay hooked a bit longer
[signature]

Cool