Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
resetting downrigger depth counter
I have a set of Cannon mini-mag downriggers and I have screwed up their depth meter some way or another. Is there a way to reset them to zero? My math skills are not what they once were-thanks guys
[signature]
The way I do mine is go out to 70ft and drop the balls down till they are in the dirt but still snug on the cable. Set the downrigger to 70 and reel it up. It works for me.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]With the boat sitting still in calm water, attach a ball weight and lower it until it just touches the water and lock it there. Now, if your counter is not reading 000, slide the counter housing away from the cable spool just until the gear on the counter is not in contact with the gear on the spool. Turn the counter gear one way or the other until the counter does read 000. Now, slide the counter back towards the spool until the counter gear and the spool gear are equally engaged with each other and your now reading zero when the ball weight is exactly at the surface.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The counter calibration for any given depth will be dependent on the spool diameter and the amount of cable it contains. Exact calibration really isn't all that necessary. Your counter will get you within a couple of feet of what you need and your sonar can be used to make minor tweaks. All you really need to do is get close. But start with the counter set to zero at the surface.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Is that what you were asking for or did I not understand the question? [/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
you can just side the counter out to the side and flip it with you finger until it reads right no deep thought required[Smile]
[signature]
[quote Papasan]I have a set of Cannon mini-mag downriggers and I have screwed up their depth meter some way or another. Is there a way to reset them to zero? My math skills are not what they once were-thanks guys[/quote]

If they are like mine you may need to spray some sort of lubricant between the seating surfaces of the counter/housing, my Uni Trolls have never had an issue but for some reason my Mini Mags did, might be due to 2 different older plastics expanding at different rates and cause it to stick. And then you simply wiggle it outward until the gears are not touching and set it to zero with the ball at the surface by turning the notched gear that turns the counter, then push it back inward until the gears line up.
[signature]