Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gulp Minnows
I've used Gulp Minnows for a couple of years now. l have a love/hate relationship with them. I've bought and used both the Gulp Alive and just plain Gulp variety. I was wondering if y'all could help me out. Those that use the Gulp Alive (the ones sitting in the jar of juice), how do you keep those dang things from leaking all over the place???? Maybe I should just stick to other variety...
[signature]
I haven't found any way to keep the little jars from leaking or evaporating once they are opened. The big jars seem to be fine. The only thing that seems to help is to not completely remove the paper/foil seal under the lid. Peel it back just enough to get the product out, then smooth it back down when you put the lid back on. It think that little bit of seal makes the difference.
[signature]
Thanks! I'll try that on my next jar. I like the other type of Gulp Minnows too but those are single use only.
[signature]
Use a blade to cut out a circle of the foil along the inside of the rim using the inside of the rim to guide the blade. There will be foil still adhered to the top of the rim to make a seal. Still, a short fall fractures the plastic and that has happened a few times for me, so I no longer trust the containers and transfer them to better bottles.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey Glen, I never leave home without a good assortment of Gulp goodies. But I seldom take more than a few of each...and hardly even carry the little bottles. Impossible to keep them from leaking and eventually drying out those spendy little tidbits.

Instead, I use some of the little plastic bags I use for lures. I put a few of each size and color in the bags. I may have two or three colors in one bag...along with a drizzle of the "super juice" to keep them moist and flavorful. Then I squeeze out most of the air and seal the little bag...and then roll it before placing it in my "Gulp jars".

I can hold several bags of several colors in each of a couple of cleaned out plastic jars that once held bottled oysters. They are light, strong and quite leakproof. If you remember to reseal each little bag as you use it you NEVER have a problem with leakage or drying out. But even if you hastily jam an unsealed bag back in, you usually won't suffer any losses if you check back occasionally.

I always keep a small 3 oz. plastic drip bottle of the Gulp juice with me while fishing. It is great for re-stinking the Gulp plastics while in use...or even for adding a couple of drops to crawlers or fish parts after you have fished them unmolested for a while. And if you ain't a purist they really work to "kick it up a notch" when using marabou jigs or even (heaven forbid) flies. And if you notice one of your little Gulp baggies getting low on juice you can just add a few more drops and you are good to go for another 10,000 fin kicks.

When I fish straight Gulp minnows, I usually use the 3"...with smelt color being best...and white or chartreuse shad being good alternates. But I also use a lot of the little 1" in either white or chartreuse shad. This year I have been doing well by using the 1" size to tip 3" plastics...for walleyes, wipers, catfish and even trout. The last picture shows how I run the hook up through the front end of the little Gulpette...allowing it to swing freely on the hook. That not only spreads the scent but adds to the action and profile. At least a few fish have voted for it in the last couple of months.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat! I like these ideas. Storage concerns have kept me from buying a lot of Gulp products even though I really like how they perform. Sometimes they outperform some of my other offerings. The pics and info really helps. Thanks!!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Forgot to mention...I have been really doing well by using one of the small chartreuse shad with the RC Killer...instead of tipping with worm. I run the hook for about a half inch down inside the Gulp and then slide it up the hook and into the bottom part of the tube. It adds color, profile and scent...without making the line twist like worm sometimes does. And I catch a lot of fish before having to replace it.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]