Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wyoming Speed Goats
Great way to start the hunting season off and get a jump on filling the freezer. My buddy and I went this weekend to Wyoming each with 2 doe speed goat tags in our pockets. My buddy had never hunted anything before and I thought this would be a really good first opportunity for him.
I had 3 goals for this trip. The first was to get him a shot at 250 or under as he had been practicing alot with his 25-06 out to 300. Second goal was for him to have a great experience that he would want to do it again. Third goal was for me to get a chance for a long shot within my capabilities with my long range system.

First morning we got him a 250 yard shot and Bam, first one down! Later that day we found another group but they were across a valley from us with no approach to cut the distance. We decided this was the opportunity I had been looking for and made a stalk. I made a great shot connecting at 528 yards. The furthest I had ever shot anything before was my last elk at 452 yards. This was the culmination of 10 years of acquiring the right tools and developing the skills and confidence to make a shot like this with wind. I was pretty ecstatic. My buddy said she went down like Thor's hammer had hit her so right there I decided that was what I would name my rifle. Couldn't think of anything more appropriate. While I didn't set any records other than a personal one, it was the satisfaction of finally achieving a 10 year quest.

The next morning we found another small group and were able to each knock one down there to complete our tag out. Both days we had the meat all on ice within an hour. I now have 3 coolers sitting in my kitchen wet aging until this weekend when we'll get all the delicious eats processed and packaged. Taken care of properly like this Antelope is absolutely our favorite big game meat....
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
That's great! Speed goat is dang tasty if you take care of it quickly and properly. Nice gun as well.
[signature]
Congrats on a fun hunt, our WY. deer hunt kicks off the first part of Nov. We haven't done that hunt for a couple years so are looking forward to it.
[signature]
Whitetail or Muleys this year? I look forward to seeing that report.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Great report and congrats on some meat in the freezer. That is a beautiful stick. What caliber?
[signature]
Thanks, it is an R Bros LW Long Range Hunter in 300 win mag. With 210 gr Berger VLDs I can shoot 3 shot group under 3/4 " at 200 yards off the bipod and a rear bag. I've never had another rifle that I could shoot like that consistently.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
They have both where we hunt and we can kill either spiecies.
[signature]
I see the Night force, what cal.?
Looks like a great gun..
[signature]
.300 win mag
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Nice, I go after my Moose the week of the 17 Oct.
I have a 6.5X284 with a 5.5X22 Night force that I will be using ..
[signature]
Perfect, good luck on that. I'll look forward to seeing your post about it.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water