Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Cats 09/13
My wife and I spent most of the day in SLC discussing past and present ailments with the Disabled American Vets folks. We got home a little after four and the wind wasn't bad so I loaded up my tube and headed for the west dike. I was fishing by five and the oncoming lighting scared me off the lake a little after six. Managed to get four nice kitties on my fly rod, one of which is the biggest I've caught this summer and had another one on that I'm guessing was even bigger. Also landed a smaller cat and two wipers on a gulp minnow being dragged behind me on a spinning rod. Man, I love Willard cats. I have to credit the success I've had the past month to TubeDude. Prior to reading his write-ups and discussing it with him several times, I had no idea you could chase and catch kitties on a fly rod. Thanks Pat, you're the man.

Larry
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Targeting cats with the fly at Willard isn't something I've done but looks like a good time.
[signature]
It's so much fun, if the government finds out about it they'll slap, a sin tax on it!

Larry
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]It sounds like you've got WB figured out.[/#000000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]
[/#000000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]Thanks for the pic and report.[/#000000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]
[/#000000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]Did you get the new tube for the hike up the dike?[/#000000][/font]
[signature]
Yes, based on your recommendation I bought a FishCat 4. With backpack straps and an old ski pole, it's a piece of cake getting over the dike.

Larry
[signature]
[#0000FF]Happy to contribute to your delinquency.

Unbelievable how many folks think it unbelievable that you can catch cats on flies. In the days when I waved the long wand more I used to enjoy many great fly-kitty encounters at Willard. I think I told you about winning some bets with doubters.

And, to make it even better, you are out there during daylight hours...with flies...and not soaking stink baits at midnight. Who says catfish ain't civilized?

Too bad those other species...like wipers, crappies, walleyes and smallmouth interrupt you so often.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TD, any suggestion on flies for Bear Lake whitefish in a month or so?

Larry
[signature]
[#0000FF]The good news is that those tasty morsels (whities) will hit the same sizes and colors as what you have been fishing at Willard...whites and black patterns. The key is to keep them right on the bottom.

I am attaching a writeup I put together on the Bonneville whitefish. It has pictures of some of the jigs that have been most effective. My favorites have become the white/red eye, black neon, red-black, midnite fire (black w/red, blue), pale perch and the gold glitter with orange spots. But if you were limited to 2 patterns I would take something white with a bit of glitter in it and ditto for black. Size 6 or 8 are probably best but bigger fish feed on small fish so even a larger white and grey clouser should work. They will also catch a few of the big cutts and macks that come in to play in those same areas.

A medium sink line will work best, since you need to get down to the "zone". But that zone can be anywhere from 5' to 15'. Generally a lot of fish are caught in 10-12 feet. Seek and ye shall find (maybe). A faster sinking line will get you down faster but will be more difficult to work the flies along the bottom while avoiding snags.

A 5 or 6 weight outfit should work for whitefish. But if you target larger fish, larger species or throw bigger flies in the wind a 7 or 8 weight might be better. Whatever you are using on Willard right now should be just dandy.

I plant to make at least a couple of whitefish excursions up there this year...beginning right after Thanksgiving...weather permitting. Stay in touch and we can ride-share. Our mid-week freedom will help avoid the "friendly crowds" on the weekends.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Man I need to get back up there and get into those cats on the fly. But knowing my luck it'll be just like the last time I was up there. One lonely wiper in a full day of throwing flies. Thanks TD for the Whitie information. Maybe I'll take a day off right before thanksgiving and go throw some flies.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Welcome aboard.

There are a lot of variables in the whities time table. Weather and water levels both play a part as to where and when they show up.

To have the best shot...on a single trip...think the first week of December...and hope it ain't cold and white...and windy.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Maybe with the appeal of a Mac and some really nice early Christmas gifts will get me the favor with the wife to get up to Bear more than once.
[signature]