Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry is warming up as it cools down
So the water temperature was 57 degrees yesterday and the day was PERFECT !!!

I went with a couple friends and we enjoyed glassy water for several hours. We hit the water around 7:30am with some fog still on the reservoir. Mainly just in the entrance to the narrows that we could see from the marina, and a bit around the shoreline.

Anyway, we spent our time jigging white tube jigs tipped with worms. Fairly slow action, but we caught a fish or two each in the first few hours. Around 2pm the wind switch turned on and we got a bit of choppy water. It wasn't too bad though, maybe 10mph? Not quite sure the speed, but it for sure wasn't as bad as last Wednesday...

So, we moved around a bit and found some more fish. Caught another couple and were sitting all nice and relaxed on the boat with the poles leaning on the side of the boat and letting the wind drift and jig the lines, when all of a sudden my pole bent and was on its way out of the boat.

I figured it must have snagged the bottom the way it just bent over like that, but when I grabbed it at the last second to stop it from falling in the water, I felt some serious vibration on the line. FISH ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never seen the pole just bend over like that.. No little tick bites, no trying to set the hook. Just BOOM, ATTACK, DEVOUR !!!!

So, I reeled in the hog of the day. It took a while because he fought pretty hard. After some finagling, we used the net and got him on the boat. 23" YEAY!!! A keeper !!!

I'm sure a lot of you have caught 23+ inchers before, but this one was my first on Strawberry and DANG that was fun. I put him on ice and took him home.

We enjoyed some yummy cutthroat today for lunch. I even had my aunt and uncle join us. My wife, I and the relatives consumed about half the fish. We have the rest for leftovers that we'll be eating tomorrow.. Yum yum !!

Anyway, it's delightful to catch fish on the berry and extra fun when they're huge.

Good luck everybody and I'll see you on the water..
[signature]
Good job at the Berry -- Sounds like you guys had a great time at one of the best places in the West...Not sure I'll get out there again with my boat this Fall - but maybe - there's just an awful lot of hunting that has to be done this time of year : doves, grouse, duck and goose hunt coming up, -- it's all good...but I'll be ready again for those nice cutts come ice-up....I've just caught one 23"er also, and that was in snow, through ice, so please save me one more...That's like doing a sub-three in the marathon....maybe once, maybe never, but Super appreciated if and when you get one...good job, and Guluk...
[signature]
I'm just wondering if the lake has started to turn yet. I have no deer or elk tag so I figured I would spend my fall at the berry. Nice fish by the way
[signature]
We were there Saturday as well...beautiful day! The wind did kick up here and there, but made for a great drift. We also used White tube jigs...and immediate, steady retrieve worked best for us. Early was definitely slower, but we knew that would be the case with huge full moon the night before. It really turned on in the afternoon for us! I caught around 30 cutts in the slot (none over this trip) and my Dad caught around 10 (typical ratio between the two of us, lol). No bows. Water looked great. We'll be back up there on 10/1, they should REALLY be putting on the feed bags then!
[signature]
+1 to Potsy's question. Has the lake turned over yet?
[signature]
[quote Hookinup]+1 to Potsy's question. Has the lake turned over yet?[/quote]

when some one post the water reaches a temperature of approximately 39 deg. Fahrenheit it is getting close to fall turnover

http://onthelake.net/fishing/turnover.htm

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4H1glC7prg
[signature]