Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down riggers?
So I have a feeling the my wife is going to get me a down rigger for my B-Day but I am fairly certain that it will not come with a weight or a release clip. I have not fished with a down rigger in many years and wanted to through out to you all a question. What size of weight do you like to use and is there a clip that you like better than another. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
[signature]
I've always used 8 lb weights, with the keels. Some guys like a heavier weight if they like to troll faster. I personally seldom troll faster than 2.5 mph and the 8 lb work fine. Of course if it's a manual DR, extra weight would not be welcome either.

There are lots of releases out there, and I've tried a lot of them. I really like the Scotty 18" Power releases with the big steel clips that attach to the cables. You can even stack them easily anywhere on the cables. The tension is just about right for kokanee and cutts etc, although the fish seldom pop the release and you'll need to quickly reel down and pull the rod up to release it yourself, but they work great, and you don't have to mess with winding the line around the release etc. Of course it's one of those personal preference things, and some people like to use the rubber bands but they seem like a lot of trouble to me, when you can simply snap the release onto your line and you're ready to go.

Hope she does get you the rigger, they're a lot of fun!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]What MC said - mostly. I, too, use 8 pound weights. The Scotty releases are good, but so are the Off Shores. Scotty's come in 2 sizes and I mostly use the smaller ones. Off shores come in at least three and I use the Medium (black) and Light (white) ones. Both companies sell ones that clip to the weight and ones that clip to the cable (stackers) Both will work and I use both types.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Since you didn't say if your d/r will be electric or a hand crank When I had manuals I used a 8lb weight.I have electrics now and prefer a 10 lb weight. The heavier the better they track and will have less blow-back,but when you got to raise the weight from hand cranking. A lighter weight will be better. As for releases I use the white off shore,or the light releases from Sep's tackle. I used a lot of different releases over the years. The off shore are a little easier to open,and for those that have arthritic hands ,that means a lot.
[signature]
+1 on 8 lb and scotty clips.
I have electrics and have used 10lb but did not find them to have less blow back even at 100+feet.
[signature]
+1 for the 8 lb. weight and the Scotty release. I also use the Scotty double stacker release and run 2 rods on 1 downrigger. Space about 10' apart and you will get doubles!
[signature]
Thank you for all of the responses. It is going to be a hand crank so I will stick with the 8lb
[signature]
I have a friend who got a 8lb weight from a guy I think in Layton or Clearfield who makes them himself in the shape of a fish. He also uses a 250lb test braided line. That seems to give less blowback and the line doesn't sing like the cable. I'm saving up o do the same.
[signature]
If you are trolling for lake trout you need the red off shore Downrigger Release

for kokanee and trout first choice is the big Scotty Power Grip Plus Release, 18" Leader
put the line in at the black mark

number two is the Off Shore Tackle Light Tension Single Downrigger Release OR4 (White) but I make a leader that is 18" long
put the line almost all the way back

I have had 60 to 100 fish days at Strawberry
that is a lot of cranking on a manual down rigger
a 6 lb ball will work and not ware you out.
look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4DoOpcp8uw
if you buy it take the release of that come with it and add the white off shore release.

me I use 10 lb balls.
and the wire hum may bring fish in
[signature]
I got a manual DR with 6lb weight and typically fish for trout/kokes at 1.5-2.5 mph down about 20-50 ft and it works great with some blowback. I also have another manual DR with 200# braid and using 4lb Ball and that has minimal blowback compared to the 6lb. The braids makes a huge difference with limiting blowback. So if you want to run light weight go with braid. Also get yourself some shuttlehawks and learn how to use it! It will make things easier for ya, your poor man's electric DR.
[signature]
[quote Jiggy81]So if you want to run light weight go with braid. Also get yourself some shuttlehawks and learn how to use it! It will make things easier for ya, your poor man's electric DR.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]On a hand crank, braid is always a good choice. On electrics where ion control is needed, braid will NOT work. And definitely get a Shuttle Hawk. It will entirely eliminate any need to retrieve the weight to re-set. Put the weight down to depth and leave it there until you're done fishing. Let the SH do all the work. Great product.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks for the info on the Shuttle Hawk. I hadn't seen those before and always use Sep's stackers when on my down rigger for Kokes. These will make a great Christmas gift for my buddies that I fish with, too.
[signature]
Hey I've tried a lot of the releases over the years and I really like the Black's release Wyoguy put me onto years back... It is to me the best release once you get the tension adjusted correctly... I did use the Scotty's as my number two favorite, but I haven't tried the Chamberlains and they look good as well... Just one more thing to consider.... Later J
[signature]
That shuttle hawk looks awesome. I am defiantly going to have to give those a try
[signature]