Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pleasant Grove water treatment plant needs to be stopped
So I went out to fly my drone today and could not believe what I came across, so I'm a little pissed what pleasant grove water treatment plant is aloud to release into our waters. Does this piss you off? I have been flying all over the lake and this is the only plant that has a discharge causing the algae to explode like this. This needs to stop. They have wetland they could be discharging into to let nature clean this crap out of the water before it hits the lake.

https://goo.gl/photos/9vqoGerMfzrxjKkT7

FNF
[signature]
You can see it pretty clearly from that view.
[signature]
[#0000FF]The only good thing about that outflow is that it attracts white bass...if you need some for bait.

If you look at Google Earth pics for that treatment outflow over the years there is always a plume of noticeably discolored water. Discolored with what?

[inline "WATER TREATMENT.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for posting. That is a a great view of a nasty situation. Too much crap left in the water I guess. I'm with you, pissed that they are using the lake as a sewage dump. Makes me want to recreate there! Have you contacted the State DWQ to get an explanation? Send your video to the Trib and TV stations. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in seeing a big reason why UL was closed. You captured 3 minutes, imagine what gets out 24/7. Jeez!!
Please post if you find anything out.
Dave
[signature]
Tiny,tiny,little bits of poo.
[signature]
[quote SBennett]Tiny,tiny,little bits of poo.[/quote]

[#0000FF]But it has been treated...at least to make the bits smaller.

It is claimed that the outflow water is treated to the point that it is safe to drink. But I doubt I would care to test that theory...especially after getting downwind of that operation. Something smells...tiny bits or otherwise.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I know it is treated, I was just trying to 'make' a funny.
[signature]
I emailed the division of water quality and he was very nice in getting back to me.

This is what he said:

T,

You may be interested to know that something is being done. For the last 5 years we have worked with stakeholders to develop a strategy to control excessive nutrients -- the food source that is feeding these algal blooms -- in our lakes and streams. By January 1, 2020 all mechanical wastewater treatment plants (WWTPs) in the state need to meet a 1 mg/l limit for phosphorous. That would result in a two-thirds reduction in the phosphorous going into our waters. That's not as far as we need to go, but it's a start. For Utah Lake that means the 6 WWTPs that surround the lake will need to be upgrade. Orem's WWTP is already meeting the limit and TSSD (that serves American Fork City) is close, but the others have a ways to go.

Thanks for your interests in this. We are working with these communities (and others around the state) to improve the level of treatment at WWTPs and to develop standards for phosphorous and nitrogen that will help prevent algal blooms. There is quite a bit of push-back, though, because removing excessive nutrients comes at an expense.

Thanks for your interest in Utah Lake. Feel free to visit our nutrient website where you can see what we're doing. And please send along to me and others any videos or pictures or observations you may have. The more folks are aware of the problem of algal blooms, the greater will be the interest in addressing the underlying problem.

Have a great day.

Walt Baker, Director
Utah Division of Water Quality

Followed Up with this:

T,

One thing I should have mentioned, as a result of your email we are sending a monitoring crew to the location to collect samples to determine the level of cyanotbacteria and whether there is a toxicity issue.

Thanks again for your help. Keep those videos coming!

Walt

So guys I ask this of everyone that fishes or hunts Utah lake, You see something being dumped into the lake from a feeder creek, river, box truck. Contact this guy.

FNF
[signature]
Excellent video with a positive result as the outcome. Good work and thank you. Utah Lake could be Utah County's greatest resource but without government being willing to correct the myriad of problems, it will remain, a toxic cesspool unusable by anyone. Thanks again.
[signature]
I questioned people eating fish out of Utah Lake and got a bunch of crap for it. I guess they got a bunch of crap too [Wink].
[signature]
Thanks ff! Not sure why your post was moved. Seems like censorship to me. What effects fishing more than water quality? I have never ate a fish out of UL--hell I only caught one walleye 20 years ago[reply][/reply] and gave that one away. Keep up the good work and try to hold those polluting towns feet to the fire. Maybe they should have thought about how much water treatment would cost before they built all those houses.
[signature]
I'm with you. Could not pay me to eat fish out of that lake. I guess just more for those who do. Yum yum!!
[signature]
[quote fsh4fun05] I questioned people eating fish out of Utah Lake and got a bunch of crap for it. I guess they got a bunch of crap too [Wink].[/quote]

Well played, sir! [cool]
[signature]
Today, KSL reports increased fecal chloroform in that area. Say it's from recent rain run-off, not... If it is from "lawns, sidewalks and streets" then they (Lindon/Pleasant Grove) all need to clean up the poop laying all over the place down there.
[signature]